icon of vm in the taskbar didn't show properly

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
yasee

icon of vm in the taskbar didn't show properly

Post by yasee »

VirturalBox Version: 6.1.26r145957
Host: Arch Linux x86_64
Kernel Version: 5.14
Desktop Environment: GNOME 40.5
Window Manager: Mutter
Icon Theme: Tela-blue-dark

All taskbar icons of my vms is a fallback icon which is used by applications that have no specific icon.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: icon of vm in the taskbar didn't show properly

Post by scottgus1 »

yasee wrote:Icon Theme: Tela-blue-dark
When the icon theme is default, do the Virtualbox icons show properly?
yasee

Post by yasee »

scottgus1 wrote:
yasee wrote:Icon Theme: Tela-blue-dark
When the icon theme is default, do the Virtualbox icons show properly?
No. Actually, there have been this problem since i installed VirtualBox in July. No matter what icon theme and gtk theme (including the default theme) i use, the problem remains.
Whiskeyjack
Oracle Corporation

Post by Whiskeyjack »

It looks like we fail to provide a .desktop file for the virtual machine application, that is VirtualBoxVM. This is not much of a problem in meaningful desktop environments like Mate or KDE but since Gnome desktop fails to do anything properly it cannot get window icon. An xprop shows that mentioned application has proper window class and window icon, even in wayland. It gets worse by the fact that before creating machine window we create an invisible window to probe host monitor topology. With all this being said, we have to make sure that we install .desktop file for the VirtualBoxVM application and (maybe) set window class and icon of those invisible probe windows.
yasee

Post by yasee »

Whiskeyjack wrote:It looks like we fail to provide a .desktop file for the virtual machine application, that is VirtualBoxVM. This is not much of a problem in meaningful desktop environments like Mate or KDE but since Gnome desktop fails to do anything properly it cannot get window icon. An xprop shows that mentioned application has proper window class and window icon, even in wayland. It gets worse by the fact that before creating machine window we create an invisible window to probe host monitor topology. With all this being said, we have to make sure that we install .desktop file for the VirtualBoxVM application and (maybe) set window class and icon of those invisible probe windows.
Thanks. The icon is correct occasionally, but mostly it is not.
Whiskeyjack
Oracle Corporation

Post by Whiskeyjack »

I have realized that I cannot get VirtualBox Manager Window and machine windows get taskbar icons on Ubuntu 21.04 Gnome. No matter what I tried they always showed up with blank (not the default "no icon" icon) icon. Ubuntu 20.04 does not have tat problem it looks like.
yasee

Post by yasee »

I found that moving the vm window to another workspace solved the problem. It seems that moving window among workspaces triggers gnome to get the icon.