Windows 10 (guess os) crashes in virtualbox (Host: Debian-based) / mentioning the Video Capture

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Massim0rotti

Windows 10 (guess os) crashes in virtualbox (Host: Debian-based) / mentioning the Video Capture

Post by Massim0rotti »

I am using Virtualbox on linux host (Debian) and installed Windows 10 as guest OS on VM.
I have tried to utilize Elgato Video Capture on Win10, the guest OS. It freezes every time I have connected the device to PC, and I am realized it comes because of the Video Capture card.
I have installed its driver on Windows, however the driver is not detected and the capture software does not find it.
I attach the log files, first with the detected Error, and the second log is for normal usage, without using the capture software and capture card, and so without without the freezing problem.

Extra information is when I kill the Virtualbox 6.1 app on my PC, there is still remains some problems with sound in linux, (perhaps relating to Pulseaudio), and once I got a problem exactly after I kill Pulseaudio and reboot :wink:

I ask you for help, It would be really thankful if I may use the capture card on the Guest Win10 in Virtualbox on my Linux Host. Thanks :)
Last edited by Massim0rotti on 18. May 2021, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 10 (guess os) crashes in virtualbox (Host: Debian-based) / mentioning the Video Capture

Post by mpack »

Massim0rotti wrote:I am using Virtualbox on linux host (Debian)
Actually you are not. Technically you are not using VirtualBox at all, you are in fact using a third party build created from the open sources by the Debian developers. These unofficial builds are not supported here. Technically you should be asking for support from the people who created the build.

That said. IME these crashes are usually caused by bad host graphics drivers. Test what happens if you disable 3D acceleration, which stops VirtualBox from using the OpenGL API on the host.

The last thing in the log shows what I think is a USB wakeup event. You should disable all power saving features inside the VM, as virtual power is not really a thing. Unfortunate the log has then been truncated, so it's hard to know if that's really the last thing that happened.
Massim0rotti

Re: Windows 10 (guess os) crashes in virtualbox (Host: Debian-based) / mentioning the Video Capture

Post by Massim0rotti »

mpack wrote:you are in fact using a third party build created from the open sources by the Debian developers.
Hi, and thanks for your comment, and I am looking for a solution for it. Do you mean the Virtualbox I am using on OS is not oficial Virtualbox? So, can be the solution to install the official Virtualbox directly and install, is that?

Or it is because of the graphic drivers which are installed inside on my Debian, those make the problem?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Installing official Virtualbox from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads (mind the prerequisites https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq) may not help or hinder the problem, but it will give us here a foundation to work on.

FWIW video capture is probably going to work better on the physical PC instead of the VM. A dual-boot with Windows may be in order.
Massim0rotti

Post by Massim0rotti »

scottgus1 wrote: video capture is probably going to work better on the physical PC instead of the VM.
Yes, you are right. I have tested and it works fine with normal Windows installation.

However I prefer to run it through my Debian System, I could not to install its special software on Linux, then I have tried to utilize it in Windows-VM, the guest OS in Virtualbox.