NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Inukaze

NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

Post by Inukaze »

¿how i can delete this post?
Last edited by Inukaze on 4. Jun 2019, 05:03, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

Post by socratis »

Right-click on a VM that you're trying to start in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Inukaze

Post by Inukaze »

Last edited by Inukaze on 4. Jun 2019, 05:04, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Inukaze wrote:[Just Fix the address ...
Please attach the image locally in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form). Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites. Plus, it's more convenient if the image goes along with the message... And mind you, I speak English, Greek and some French. But in this forum the language is English, so if the picture is not in English, switch to the English interface.

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Inukaze wrote:Cannot trust the directory "/usr/lib/virtualbox": group and/or other writable (st_mode=040777)
Something is not right with your system. Does the fact that you run out of space had anything to do with that, like screwing up your filesystem?

I see "install the host from scratch" in your near future... ;)
Inukaze

Post by Inukaze »

Last edited by Inukaze on 4. Jun 2019, 05:04, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Inukaze wrote:that is for the people don't want to understand the problem and the right way to fix it
If I had your computer in front of me, I would know how to fix it. Right now I have to imagine what's wrong with your system, huge difference. Since you are sitting in front of your computer and not me, I think that you are better qualified than me to fix your troubles...
Inukaze

Post by Inukaze »

Last edited by Inukaze on 4. Jun 2019, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Inukaze wrote:The first problem, looks like are just the wrong permissions
That *is* the problem actually, that's why I said you might need to re-install your host OS; because there's no easy way to "reset" the permissions to what they're supposed to be.

I learned long time ago that if you manually mess with permissions the only good thing to come out of it is... nothing, only trouble. And since I don't know what the default permissions for Devuan are, I can't be of help in that front, someone else might be.

If you have another computer that has a working VirtualBox, I would try to install Devuan as a VM and then start comparing permissions between the default VM installation and your host.