[Resolved] AutoMoveWindows not affecting VM's since 6.0

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
DdB
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: many

[Resolved] AutoMoveWindows not affecting VM's since 6.0

Post by DdB »

Hi,
I am using vbox since its version 3 (on different hosts, now on debian stretch only).
On 5.x release, i found it very convenient to have VM's open on a separate workspace automatically, which was handled by configuring the gnome extension AutoMoveWindows accordingly.
On 6.x release, something changed. The virtualbox GUI still gets moved automatically, but the VM's are handled differently. Everyone of them is handled separately (separate icon on gnome panel) which no only clutters the UI, but also the VM's no longer redirect to their workspace automatically. From what i could gather, all that would be needed is a *.desktop file matching the way, vbox uses to open virtual machines, and to reconfigure AutoMoveWindows accordingly. But i have not been able to discern, how VM's are handled properly by vbox 6.x
A helpful hint would be greatly appreciated! :-)
Last edited by socratis on 16. Feb 2019, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: AutoMoveWindows not affecting VM's since 6.0

Post by socratis »

Before 6.0.0, "VirtualBox" was responsible for running the VirtualBox Manager *and* running the VMs. This has changed with 6.0.0 due to security reasons. Now "VirtualBox" is responsible for running the VirtualBox Manager, while there's a new executable, "VirtualBoxVM" which is the VM-runner. You might have to adjust your setup accordingly...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DdB
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: many

Re: AutoMoveWindows not affecting VM's since 6.0

Post by DdB »

Thank you @socratis. That piece of information helped me to resolve it, even though not by using auto-move-windows. :-)
Please mark as solved.

in case, someone else comes through this:
There is the option to manipulate VBox (which is a shell script where both programs actually redirect to).
I did not do that, because i already have an infrastructure in place to keep track of my VM's. So i used wmctrl to set the desktop directly, similar to this:

Code: Select all

wmctrl -l -x | sed "s/Box /Box-/g" | awk '/Box-Mac/ { print $1; }' | xargs -l wmctrl -i -t 2 -r