Auto-resize Guest Display does not work (v. 5.2-5.2.22)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
DAH

Auto-resize Guest Display does not work (v. 5.2-5.2.22)

Post by DAH »

Hi,

I am aware that this is a reoccurring topic and I have read all other solved threads, but my problem couldn't be resolved.
Today I did a system update of my host and also updated from VirtualBox-5.2-5.2.18_124319_el7-1.x86_64 to VirtualBox-5.2-5.2.22_126460_el7-1.x86_64 and also updated the extension pack as well as the guest additions on the guest system.
Afterwards the "auto-resize guest display" option didn't not work anymore. More details below my system specs:

My host:
Operating System: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 7.6 (Maipo)
CPE OS Name: cpe:/o:redhat:enterprise_linux:7.6:GA:workstation
Kernel: Linux 3.10.0-957.1.3.el7.x86_64
Architecture: x86-64
Video driver: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.87 (GTX1080)

My Guest:
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Education
Version: 10.0.17763 Build 17763
Latest guest additions are installed.

Resources provided to the guest system:
Memory: 20480 MB
I/O APIC enabled
6 CPUs
Execution Cap: 100%
Acceleration:
Paravirtualization: Default
Hardware Virtualization: Enabled VT-x/AMD-V, Enabled Nested Paging
Display options:
Video Memory: 200 MB
1 Monitor (out of 2), Scale Factor 100%
3D-Acceleration enabled, 2D-Video Acceleration enabled
Display Preferences:
Maximum Guest Screen Size: Automatic/None/Hint - all options tested - same issue, Hint screen resolution would be 2560x1440

My Problem:
I want that my Vbox window size matches my monitor size (2560x1440) and that the guest display is automatically resized ones I change the window size. The option in the menu View>Auto-resize Guest Display is activate, guest additions are installed, and no matter what I select under File>Preferences>Display>automatic/none/hint, the problem persists and the display size stays unchanged and no resizing happens upon changing the window size. In windows (the guest): If I do a right click>display settings the maximum resolution I can manually select is 1600x1200. If I change the resolution manually the display size adjusts to this number in the window, but nothing happens automatically and I cannot expand the display to the full window size (256x1440, 1600x1200 is maximum).
However, before I did the system and Vbox updates (mentioned above), the display was adjusting automatically.
Accordingly, I uninstalled the guest additions and VirtualBox-5.2-5.2.22_126460_el7-1.x86_64 and installed again the old version (VirtualBox-5.2-5.2.18_124319_el7-1.x86_64) including extension pack and guest additions - same issue.
I also tried to reinstall the new version - same issue.
I restarted the host and virtual machine many times - same issue.
My desktop environment is MATE, but I also tested everything with GNOME classic - same issue.

I run out of ideas. Does somebody have an idea how to fix the problem?
Thank you!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Auto-resize Guest Display does not work (v. 5.2-5.2.22)

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DAH

Post by DAH »

Hi,

Thanks! I didn't know where to find the log files. I attached a copy as requested and they contain some interesting lines:

[ModEdit; partial, yet large chunk, copy/paste of the VBox.log removed]

I restored the vdi from a previous backup and started it on the same host (RHEL7 see above), which resulted in the same problem.
I also tested the same vdi from two other hosts (Ubuntu and CentOS7) and didn't have problems. Therefore, I think that it might be related to the particular host.

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
log
(35.73 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
Last edited by socratis on 16. Dec 2018, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed partial log.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

DAH wrote:I want that my Vbox window size matches my monitor size (2560x1440)
That should never happen if you're not in full-screen mode. If you're in windowed mode, you have the window toolbar, status bar, widgets, frame borders, and the rest of the graphic elements of a typical window, which take space. If you go full-screen, then (and only then) you will get your monitor's resolution.
00:00:00.671868 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000006 (6)
00:00:00.883136 CPUM: Physical host cores: 6
You have assigned all your CPUs to the VM. The host is going to run low on resources, since VirtualBox cares about physical processors (cores), not logical ones (threads).
00:00:00.507011 File system of '/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (DVD) is xfs
00:00:10.321525 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.18 r124319 '5.2.18'
You have inserted the Guest Additions (GAs) CD, but you haven't actually installed the GAs. Do it. And remember to always eject the GAs ISO once you're done with the installation, otherwise you're gonna run into trouble in the next VirtualBox update, due to the changed UUID of the GAs ISO.

PS. I removed a big chunk of text, parts of the log from your post. Partial logs are not that helpful I'm afraid, it was just taking unnecessary screen space...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DAH

Post by DAH »

Thanks for your response.

Regarding your first comment:
Sorry, if I have confused you. I probably should have been more precise and substracted the ~20pixel for the menu bar from my vertical monitor resolution.
I attached a picture that illustrates what I am talking about.

Regarding your second comment:
Thanks, I reduced the number of cores. However, this is unrelated to my problem.

Regarding your third comment:
Sorry, ^^ The last thing I tested was whether the problem persists with an older version of the same vdi (which had an older version). The log file was from one of these tests. However, if I update the guest additions the problem persists and on other hosts (as mentioned) does the scaling work properly with exactly the same vdi (older guest addition version 5.2.18) and latest virtual box version.

I attached a new log file.
Thanks for your help!
Attachments
screenshot_small.jpg
screenshot_small.jpg (63.09 KiB) Viewed 17307 times
VBox.log.zip
logfile
(33.98 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Try a couple of things:
  1. Manually adjust the window (as you've done) and make sure that under the menu View » Auto-resize Guest Display is checked.
  2. Take it in and out of full-screen.
  3. Go to step 1.
See if that "jolts" Windows' available resolutions...