No upper menu from which select the "Devices" option

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Malaspina

No upper menu from which select the "Devices" option

Post by Malaspina »

Hi, for some time now I’ve been trying to install the Virtualbox “Guest Additions” to solve certain graphic problems I’ve had, but with no luck. My system works on 64 bit Ubuntu 16.04.1, on top of which I run a Windows XP virtual machine, making use for that of Virtualbox 5.2.20r125813(Qt 5.6.1). After surfing the net, I think I found the reason why I am unable to get the problem sorted out. I guess It’s because on the upper side of the window containing the virtualized session should appear a menu including the option “Devices” from which unload the “Guest Additions” but in my case, that menu is missing. What should I do to solve it? Thanks in advance
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No upper menu from which select the "Devices" option

Post by socratis »

Malaspina wrote:My system works on 64 bit Ubuntu 16.04.1
Maybe you've configured your Ubuntu to show the menus consolidated in the top task/menu/status/<else> bar? You can always set a shortcut to achieve that. From the VirtualBox preferences » Input » Virtual Machine » Insert Guest Additions CD Image... » set it to any combo, I have mine as HostKey+D (it used to be like that). But primarily you got to figure out why the menus don't show up...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Malaspina

Post by Malaspina »

Hi, Socratis thanks for your answer, unfortunately I had already tried setting the shortcut as you suggest but with no luck. When it comes to trying to figure out why the upper menu doesn't show, that was exactly the point why I posted my message in the first place, just in case someone had stumbled upon the same problem I had solved it somehow.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Have you tried the Ubuntu forums? Or the Qt forums?
Because on my Ubuntu 16.04, I can definitely see the menus, no problem here...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Malaspina

Post by Malaspina »

No I haven't tried that but I will for sure. Thanks