[Solved] Virtual Machine Not Working After HDD Change

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
bilyo

Re: [Solved] Virtual Machine Not Working After HDD Change

Post by bilyo »

How disappointing! I'll probably never have a good reason to make one of those "lovely things" :D .

Again. I thank you very much. Probably one of the most helpful forum exchanges I've ever had.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

bilyo wrote:I thank you very much.
You're welcome! ;)
bilyo wrote:Probably one of the most helpful forum exchanges I've ever had.
Tell that to the haters out there! :D
bilyo wrote:I'll probably never have a good reason to make one of those "lovely things" :D .
Never say never. You'll find yourself using all the tools available at some point. The key is to really understand what's going under the hood. And test your understanding in a throw-away VM, be it a new one or a clone of an existing one. I've seen cases where people misunderstood the encryption options and ended up with a VM that was full of encrypted data, and no way to recover (that's the idea). And as you might have guessed already, with no viable backup...

I know people, power users, that even the mention of the word "snapshot" makes them cringe. And for a good reason, you're doubling/tripling/quadrupling/etc your chances of something going wrong, if you're dealing with 2, 3, 4, etc. multiple files that are stacked on top of each other.

I on the other hand keep a single, minimal snapshot in each and every VM that I have, mainly for "Undo" purposes. For example, once a VM is created (not installed, just created), I create a "NotInstalled" snapshot, just to have the settings set on stone. I then install the OS in the VM. If I don't make a mistake, and after I've installed a basic skeleton, I create a new snapshot "BasicInstall" and delete the "NotInstalled" one. Finally, apply the latest patches, install a couple of basic/standard options (Greek keyboard/layout/language support, system monitors, development tools, guest additions), and if I'm happy with the result and nothing breaks, I take another snapshot (example: "5.2.18-2018.10.16") showing both the VirtualBox version and the date. And I delete the "BasicInstall" snapshot. And after that, test at will, I don't care if it breaks or not. And my backup contains the "version-date" main VDI and VBOX, not the snapshots, I don't care about them...

That's why for example my Win10-32 VM is at version 1511 (10586.753 November Update) and has a single snapshot named "5.1.26-2017.07.28". And yes, I opted not to upgrade Win10 as you can tell, for a variety of reasons... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bilyo

Post by bilyo »

bilyo wrote:
Probably one of the most helpful forum exchanges I've ever had.

Tell that to the haters out there! :D
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Socratis is a most helpful commentator. Read and heed!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

:D
I'll print that and hang it on my wall!!!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.