Unable to burn Audio CD (#17974)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
SloanUser

Unable to burn Audio CD (#17974)

Post by SloanUser »

ModEdit; related ticket: #17974: Unable to burn Audio CD
Hello,

I am running Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS with all the latest patches installed.

Linux xxxxxxx 4.15.0-33-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 15 16:00:05 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I installed Virtualbox/Extension Pack/Guest Additions from virtualbox.org; version 5.2.18 r124319 (Qt5 9.5)

My machine has a DVD/RW drive that is connected to the Windows 7 guest via Passthrough.

I am able to burn data discs, but cannot burn audio discs. I checked the Virtualbox releases, and as of version 4.2 the changelog says that audio cd burning is supported.

How can I get this working correctly?

I have attached a log file from right after burning an audio cd fails.

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
Windows 7-2018-09-09-11-02-46.log
(108.2 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Last edited by socratis on 26. Sep 2018, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to burn Audio CD (#17974)

Post by socratis »

SloanUser wrote:and as of version 4.2 the changelog says that audio cd burning is supported.
Close, but not exactly. The exact wording in the 4.2.0 changelog is:
• Storage: implemented burning of audio CDs in passthrough mode
Implementation of a feature, with the full support of a feature, is not the same thing actually. Now, couple that with what's currently in the manual (emphasis mine):
The standard CD/DVD emulation allows for reading standard data CD and DVD formats only. As an experimental feature, for additional capabilities, it is possible to give the guest direct access to the CD/DVD host drive by enabling “passthrough” mode. Depending on the host hardware, this may enable three things to work, potentially:
  • CD/DVD writing from within the guest, if the host DVD drive is a CD/DVD writer;
  • playing audio CDs;
  • playing encrypted DVDs.
Recording audio CDs isn't on the list, playing is, and that comes with a big "if". I don't recall writing of audio CDs ever being a fully supported feature. Not that I ever needed it, but the handful of people that I remember asking for that, over the last years, never managed to make it work.

PS. For future reference you should ZIP your logs. It helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.