[Solved] VirtualBox can only be launched in root account on openSUSE Leap 15?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
acedude

[Solved] VirtualBox can only be launched in root account on openSUSE Leap 15?

Post by acedude »

Installed VirtualBox 5.2.18 on openSUSE Leap 15.0. The problem is that I can't launch the VirtualBox for non-root users on the openSUSE and have to log into the root account to launch ans use the VirtualBox. Is there something I missed during the VirtualBox setup in the non-root account on openSUSE? I used to do the same VirtualBox setup on Ubuntu without any problem.

UPDATE
OK, it turns out I need to set the normal non-root users in vboxusers group by using User and Group Manager utility on YaST. Once the vboxusers group includes the nornal non-root user's account, that particular user can then launch VirtualBox, and don't have to log into root user for VirtualBox usage..
Last edited by socratis on 21. Aug 2018, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed formatting.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] VirtualBox can only be launched in root account on openSUSE Leap 15?

Post by socratis »

That's... interesting. The only time that you need to be a member of the 'vboxusers' group is if you want to use any USB devices (see Ch. 2.3.4 The vboxusers group), which is not allowed by default for simple users in Linux for security (see Ch. 3.11.2 Implementation notes for Windows and Linux hosts). I don't think I've ever had to add anyone specifically on the 'vboxusers' group, just to get VirtualBox up and running.

I've been meaning to install OpenSUSE 15 (I have Tumbleweed already, I wanted the stable as well). I'll give it a shot and see what's going on, hopefully later tonight...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.