[Invalid] VirtualBox gives error when starting guest on certain computers. (#17787)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
sdurranc

[Invalid] VirtualBox gives error when starting guest on certain computers. (#17787)

Post by sdurranc »

[ModEdit; related ticket: #17787: VirtualBox gives error when starting guest on certain computers.]
05/24/2018 (Thursday)

I have two Acer Aspire One AOA150’s and one Dell Inspiron Mini 10 netbooks. The two desktops are a Compaq with PCI Express PCIEX16 motherboard and a home build one with a Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A motherboard. All 5 computers have Linux Mint 18.3 operating system with all updates and latest VirtualBox program. Four have 160GB hard drives and 1GB memory (not much, but has been working). The home build desktop has 1TB drive and 8GB memory. I’ve been “duplicating/backing up” the computer setups by using Rsync program normally and everything has always worked for years … That is until now with a VirtualBox Windows 7 Ultimate guest program.

I've tried duplicating the VirtualBox VM by using copy, rsync, and export/import. These seem to still work on the three netbooks, and at least rsync used to work on the desktops. Now with the two desktops, after initially getting the message below, I get the message "RecEnv.exe - Application Error The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000006). Click OK to close the application.". I’ve even tried reinstalling the VirtualBox program and trying all the various Windows recovery options to no avail.

The same thing happens on the desktops when I boot from the attached netbook's hard drive. The VirtualBox VM now gives the same error messages.

(Note: I had previously posted this in the "bug tracker" and got Ticket #17787).

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give.
Message from "Normal Windows Startup" when starting VirtualBox VM from netbook on desktop.
Message from "Normal Windows Startup" when starting VirtualBox VM from netbook on desktop.
Untitled 1.png (49.71 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
Last edited by socratis on 27. May 2018, 10:28, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Invalid].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox gives error when starting guest on certain computers. (#17787)

Post by socratis »

sdurranc wrote:Now with the two desktops, after initially getting the message below, I get the message "RecEnv.exe - Application Error The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000006). Click OK to close the application."
I'm not sure why you think this is a VirtualBox error. Something is going on inside your guest. Just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem necessarily. You're having an issue that has most probably nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS or the application of the guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sdurranc

Post by sdurranc »

Don't know what the current problem might be. I've been backing up the VirtualBox Vm's and/or hard drive to the other disks and it's always worked for years up to now. Still works on the other two laptops, but even moving the hard drive to the Desktops get the error messages. Thought since the disks are identical and the 5 computers hardware hasn't changed that it should continue working. Could try installing another operating system and/or previous VirtualBox version and see what happens.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You do realize that the lamp on my bathroom used to work for years, before it burned out, right?

Things working for years is not something that shows it's a bug. My PC died three days ago, after working day and night for 12 years. That's not a bug.

If you're copying something and it works it 2 out of 5, there is no VirtualBox bug here. Just because you're seeing an erroneous behavior, that doesn't make it a bug in the software you're using. I'd say check your hard disks, check your procedures.

We try to help with generic software and hardware issues, as much as we can. Mainly by pointing out that this is not a VirtualBox issue...

Marking as [Invalid].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.