[Resolved] Create VM's on another drive?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Rustyp
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Not Sure

[Resolved] Create VM's on another drive?

Post by Rustyp »

Hi
New to the VirtualBox world and the Linux world, I have VirtualBox installed on Linux Mint 18.3 I also have a second hard drive plugged into the machine I want to keep the virtual machines on the second drive, when I create a new Virtual Machine how do I make it install on the second machine?

When I choose a new location for the new virtual hard disk file I can not find my second hard drive it just shows "Computer" and my "user" no second drive "1TB" I can see the second drive in the Nemo file manager.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by socratis on 27. Apr 2018, 01:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Create VM's on another drive?

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox Manager preferences » General » Default Machine Folder.

If you have already created a VM, see "Moving a VM".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Rustyp

Post by Rustyp »

Thanks for the reply.

I went to the preferences General Default Machine Folder when I click on Other all I see is Computer and User no matter what I click on I can not see my 1TB drive how ever I can see and access the 1TB drive in the Nemo file manager.

Any idea why I can not see the 1TB drive in Virtualbox? The 1TB drive was added after I installed Virtualbox if that matters?
Suggestions?
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Rustyp wrote:Any idea why I can not see the 1TB drive in Virtualbox?
On the basis that a picture paints a thousand words then I think a couple of screenshots might be in order. One of what you see in Nemo and one of what you see in VirtualBox. It might also be good to see the output from:
# df -Th
Rustyp wrote:The 1TB drive was added after I installed Virtualbox if that matters?
It shouldn't do. The locations shown should be based on what is current in the hardware.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Open your file browser. Locate your external HD. Make a note about the path of the HD. That's where you'll find it in VirtualBox as well. Usually under "/mnt", or "/mount", or wherever your host OS mounts things...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Rustyp

Post by Rustyp »

Output from the command
df -Th
Filesystem     Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev           devtmpfs  5.7G     0  5.7G   0% /dev
tmpfs          tmpfs     1.2G  9.4M  1.2G   1% /run
/dev/sda1      ext4      425G  186G  218G  46% /
tmpfs          tmpfs     5.8G  257M  5.5G   5% /dev/shm
tmpfs          tmpfs     5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs          tmpfs     5.8G     0  5.8G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/loop0     squashfs   87M   87M     0 100% /snap/core/4407
/dev/loop1     squashfs  181M  181M     0 100% /snap/vlc/190
/dev/loop2     squashfs   82M   82M     0 100% /snap/core/4206
/dev/loop3     squashfs   87M   87M     0 100% /snap/core/4486
cgmfs          tmpfs     100K     0  100K   0% /run/cgmanager/fs
tmpfs          tmpfs     1.2G   40K  1.2G   1% /run/user/1000
/dev/sr1       iso9660   290M  290M     0 100% /media/ori/000803_0319
/dev/sdb1      fuseblk   932G   76G  857G   9% /media/ori/19381EB650CBB428
Path shown in the file manager /media/ori/19381EB650CBB428

Strange how Linux programs cant find drives, I guess 30 years of Windows has me spoiled, its too hard to have C: D: E: ect.then all the programs show the drives in a dialog box? Wrote down the df -Th for future use.

The 1TB drive is now mapped in Virtualbox thanks for the help.
Last edited by socratis on 27. Apr 2018, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [pre] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Resolved].
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: [Resolved] Create VM's on another drive?

Post by andyp73 »

/dev/sdb1      fuseblk   932G   76G  857G   9% /media/ori/19381EB650CBB428
The external disk that you are proposing using for your VirtualBox guests is mounted using fuse so I am assuming that it is NTFS formatted. I'm not sure I would be confident in doing that and would be making sure I had extensive backups of important data.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.