[Invalid] LsiLogic SCSI BIOS: int13_harddisk: function 02, error 04 ! (#17710)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
justaquiz

[Invalid] LsiLogic SCSI BIOS: int13_harddisk: function 02, error 04 ! (#17710)

Post by justaquiz »

[ModEdit; related ticket: #17710: LsiLogic SCSI BIOS: int13_harddisk: function 02, error 04 ! or int13_harddisk_ext: function 42, error 04 !]
hi

Story:
i run windows XP guest on debian 8 host and sometimes the guest machine hangs in black screen.. before booting; error in log
00:00:05.795404 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: int13_harddisk: function 02, error 04 !
-sometimes the guest shows disk error on harddisk
-the guest was initially on IDE controller then i had sata with XP additional drivers, they worked well but somehow sluggish
-it mostly happens when i start very quick the guest after starting the vbox manager or when starting fast after a shutdown/shutdown to snapshot of the guest
-all controllers had/have host I/O cache on; till now the SCSI has problems in my setup

Specs:
vbox 5.1.22 r115126 (Qt5.3.2)
guest: Hdd controller LsiLogic SCSI
host: 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.51-3 (2017-12-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux Debian 8.10
host hdd: sata IDE mode
host vostro v1710

ty for help
Last edited by socratis on 26. Apr 2018, 02:31, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: LsiLogic SCSI BIOS: int13_harddisk: function 02, error 04 !

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
justaquiz

Post by justaquiz »

log added
Attachments
crash.mod.log.zip
crash log
(14.93 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

00:00:05.795404 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: int13_harddisk: function 02, error 04 !
Digging back through the BIOS programming guide: Int 13h function 02 is "disk read sector" and error code 04 is "sector not found".

I think that trying to put the disk for a Windows XP guest onto an emulated SCSI controller is going to give you more problems than performance benefit that you may get at the end of it. I have a number of Windows XP guests all of which use the default template (disks on IDE) and there are no performance issues even with big compiles under old versions of compilers.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
justaquiz

Post by justaquiz »

thx for the bios pointer.. maybe the LsiLogic SCSI controller has some lag in becoming available..
i also reproduced it 2 more times(same general log/error) by fast start/stopping different machines with same controller
on winxp i got black screen with "A disk read error occurred/pres C-A-Del to restart"
till now no data corruption.. machine is starting ok(no scandisc/recovery) afterwards

regarding performance i get 10-15s xp bootup from LsiLogic SCSI vs 40+ SATA/IDE; it feels/is faster in my setup

EDIT:
on a W764 guest i got.. guess its the same bug
00:00:08.256558 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: int13_harddisk_ext: function 42, error 04 !
EDIT2
also W764 guest LsiLogic SAS controller same error
00:00:08.256558 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: int13_harddisk_ext: function 42, error 04 !
EDIT3
on W764 guest when restoring from SAS to SCSI snapshot i managed to get a grub/rescue bootloader > ls > "Error 5: Partition table invalid or corrupt"
this guest hdd never had any contact with any linuxos; ive restarted the machine(not applying snapshot) and all seems fine/no errors/no file corruption
Where from the grub loader in W764?? till now winxp32/winxp64/w764 have problems with LsiLogic controllers; linux hosts on same controller seems to be fine
Note: SCSI/SAS drivers are for W764 builtin and for winxp32/64 .. quite outdated.. but trusted source
also far fetch.. the physical host storage for the vdi is NTFS

got a hunch on "use host I/O cache" causing the problems seems to work fine/slower w/o it
Attachments
w7.zip
(171.75 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Last edited by socratis on 24. Apr 2018, 01:39, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Where did this VM come from?
If you created it from scratch (as you should), you should definitely stick with the defaults. There is reasoning behind the madness ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
justaquiz

Post by justaquiz »

i test things..
winxp32/64 are standard iso + intel sata,nic + scsi lenovo driver(go figure)
win764 machine is standard iso + nic intel
not much.. but Lsi SCSI/SAS has bugs on windows
socratis wrote:...There is reasoning behind the madness
.. no its not :twisted:
Last edited by socratis on 24. Apr 2018, 01:39, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

justaquiz wrote:i test things..
Great! Good for you! 8)

But please don't ask for help if you break things while testing. There are some combinations that are supported, some that are not. We're not going to be scratching out collective heads because of unsupported combinations. Come to me with a supported setup that is broken, then we can talk about it...
justaquiz

Post by justaquiz »

pls dont imply i brake Oracle Virtualbox by simply changing its settings - tells much of quality check @Oracle
my host has only debian repo packages except Oracle Virtualbox and the guests are basic install with proper drivers
i also think this forum is for discussing various bugs/customizations/features.. stuff like that.. so your apport as moderator is mandatory

considering this i can confirm that by switching off "Use Host I/O cache" my windows guests on linux host dont crash from hdd failure using LsiLogic SCSI controller
ive also tested same windows guests on a win764 host vbox 5.1.30 same LsiLogic SCSI controller "Use Host I/O cache" on and it works fine
so i blame it on the "Use Host I/O cache" for linux host
added ticket https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17710

considering this QC fail https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17573
ill skip the upgrade option
ty for your help
Last edited by socratis on 24. Apr 2018, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You are certainly free to try non-default configurations, but unless you are a paying customer just don't assume that Oracle will be interested in your findings.

Speaking of which: this is a user forum. We are not Oracle, and you are not an Oracle customer. Nothing is mandatory. Also, you finding a bug in an Oracle product is not a QC fail, because your finding that bug is an example of the QC system working. I remind you that you are not a customer, you are merely a tester of the free download. As are we all.

Returning to your problem: what exactly are you trying to achieve? Choosing the LsiLogic controller is not an end, it's a means. What is the end?
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

0:00:05.795404 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: int13_harddisk: function 02, error 04 !
Windows XP did not come with driver support for LSI Logic SCSI.

refer to Installing Windows XP using LSI Logic driver
and LSI products are now part of Broadcom Limited
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: LsiLogic SCSI BIOS: int13_harddisk: function 02, error 04 ! (#17710)

Post by socratis »

You had to open a ticket as well, you couldn't just accept some facts, right?
Next up... When enabling a SATA controller in a DOS VM, DOS doesn't see it. News at 11!.

I modified your first post and the title of the thread to point to the ticket.
justaquiz

Post by justaquiz »

@mpack - i didnt post to discuss Oracle business model
(read whole thread) i was quite explicit regarding the bug.. pls be explicit regarding solution
"dont change default settings" excluded as non constructive

@ChipMcK - pls read whole thread; xp machine has proper driver added;
it works fine on w764 host but not on linux

@socratis - see answer for @ChipMcK

ty again for your help
workaround fix disable "Use Host I/O cache"
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: LsiLogic SCSI BIOS: int13_harddisk: function 02, error 04 ! (#17710)

Post by socratis »

So, I decided to take a second, closer look at your log...
  • If you obfuscate anything again, that's going to be the death of this thread. There will be no ifs, ands or buts. I don't want to see "<PATH.PATH>.vdi" ever again. I hope this is as clear a message as it gets.
  • You're running an ancient (1-year old) VirtualBox version, on the verge of being supported, you should definitely update to the latest and greatest:
    VirtualBox VM 5.1.22 r115126 linux.amd64 (Apr 28 2017 17:20:10) release log
  • Where is this VM stored? I don't particularly like the fact that it's on a "fuse" based medium. That's why it's absolutely vital to not obfuscate things, do you realize this now?

Because, if this is an ext. HD, NTFS formatted, and you go through an additional software layer (fuse), with questionable caching mechanisms, and you thing that the "Host I/O cache" being disabled fixes it, but when run on a Win system with native NTFS support it works...
    I start to see a pattern here...
    00:00:02.002384 File system of '<PATH.PATH>.vdi' is fuse
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

justaquiz wrote:@ChipMcK - pls read whole thread; xp machine has proper driver added;
it works fine on w764 host but not on linux
the LSI/Broadcom driver is dated 2010?