Changing screen resolution in windows 98 VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
IanB

Changing screen resolution in windows 98 VM

Post by IanB »

I've been using Virtualbox for all my Linux VMs and I'm very impressed with the package.

I'd like to be able to run windows 98 in a VM but have been unable to alter the screen resolution from the basic 480 x 600 (guest additions not supported? for windows 98??)

Is there a way of doing this?

As an alternative, I have copies of windows xp but unfortunalety I cannot use these to build a VM as I do not have an installation CD (pre configured onto hard drives)
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Search Function!

Discussed several times.
IanB

Where is the 'search function' that is being referred to?

Post by IanB »

I'm afraid this is too cryptic ....... where is the search function that is referred to in several postings relating to setting screen resolution for windows 98 VMs?

I've not been able to find the answer in the forum postings so far, which is why I have placed my request for some additional help.

As I understand it, there are no 'guest additions' for windows 98 which is why I cannot change the screen resolution. Is this the case and if so, is there a 'work around'?
pat

Post by pat »

Hi Ian. It looks like shorthand for "Search the forum!" to me (ie the search option at the top of the page). Elsewhere a similar comment is a little more expansive: "Search Function => Scitech Display Doctor 7". :wink: Such a search led me to this thread (amongst many):

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=1172

I had the same problem as you and I suspect you are correct that "guest additions" is not an option for Win98 as a guest. But I am a newcomer to Virtualbox so I could well be wrong. I downloaded the Scitech Display Doctor via a Google search but have not yet got much joy out of it. That may be just because my hardware is fairly spartan though. It may be worth a try for you.

Good luck. Pat.
IanB

Post by IanB »

pat wrote:Hi Ian. It looks like shorthand for "Search the forum!" to me (ie the search option at the top of the page). Elsewhere a similar comment is a little more expansive: "Search Function => Scitech Display Doctor 7". :wink: Such a search led me to this thread (amongst many):

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=1172

I had the same problem as you and I suspect you are correct that "guest additions" is not an option for Win98 as a guest. But I am a newcomer to Virtualbox so I could well be wrong. I downloaded the Scitech Display Doctor via a Google search but have not yet got much joy out of it. That may be just because my hardware is fairly spartan though. It may be worth a try for you.

Good luck. Pat.
Thanks for the suggestion of the Scitech Display Doctor which I have tried also with no success.

I've also tried VMware but had problems with usb support.

Have you tried using QEMU?
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Scitech must have Version 7. Older Versions doesnt work.
pinnerup

Re: Changing screen resolution in windows 98 VM

Post by pinnerup »

I recently ran into the same problem and I managed to resolve it by using the drivers from the "VBEMP 9x Project" (downloadable online) for the Display Adaptor.

I'm aware that this thread is long since irrelevant, but I thought I'd leave the information here in case anyone comes along searching for a solution to the same problem, just as I did.

PS: I can't post the link to the project, being newly registered, but it can be easily found by googling the above name.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Changing screen resolution in windows 98 VM

Post by mpack »

That sounds like the BearWindows VBEMP project, which is already discussed (with download links) in the Win98 tutorials area.

I deleted your cross-post.