[Solved] Computer freezing with any VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
MrZasen

[Solved] Computer freezing with any VM

Post by MrZasen »

Hi everyone, I'm new here, I've been trying to run lately a Win8.1 and a WinXP as VM on a Linux Mint 18.3 host. When I installed VirtualBox the VM worked fine, I made a snapshot of each, and they loaded too perfectly, but when I shutted down the host and tried to startup any of these VM either loading their snapchots or just a simple startup, the whole host computer just freezes, with no HDD activity and with the mouse loading. What can I do to solve this?
Last edited by socratis on 24. Jan 2018, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Computer freezing with any VM

Post by socratis »

Wild guess, but you're running the forked version from the Ubuntu store (5.0.40_Ubuntu). You should completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox.

If that doesn't work you should try the latest 5.2.x test builds, especially with all the Spectre/Meltdown patches coming in from all sides.

PS. Normally, I would strongly urge you to completely shutdown your VMs before you do that. It's going to save you several headaches. It's never a good idea to change VirtualBox versions while your VMs are in saved state. But, unfortunately you can't do that now anymore, unless you switch to a previous kernel for your host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MrZasen

Post by MrZasen »

I've just removed my version, and downloaded the .deb package for Ubuntu 17.04 since it's the nearest version available, but when I open an error pops up: libqt5core5a (>=5.7.0), should I ignore that?
Last edited by socratis on 23. Jan 2018, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That tells you that the Qt libraries required are not installed, the dependencies are not fulfilled. You'll need to address that, or download the generic (All distributions) version that includes the Qt libraries (embedded).

But I said that most probably you need the test build. Start with that one...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MrZasen

Post by MrZasen »

Sorry, but I just can't find what you're telling me :oops:
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:you should try the latest 5.2.x test builds
I included a link, why can't you find it? There's no specific version for your distro, it's the Linux 32-bit or 64-bit one.
MrZasen

Post by MrZasen »

I opened the .run file, but it is lasting too much and it freezes...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You're supposed to execute (run) the ".run" file...
MrZasen

Post by MrZasen »

The installer just crashed... and it did nothing...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm sorry, I don't follow... What did you do? Exactly.
MrZasen

Post by MrZasen »

I downloaded the 5.2 x64 version for linux from the link you provided, which downloaded a .run file. I double clicked on that .run file, and an installer window appeared, which froze from time to time and made the pc lag a lot and took like 2h to install, when it finished (or I think it did) I closed the installer window, searched for VirtualBox, but it wasn't anywhere.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I said to execute that file. Open a Terminal, navigate to wherever you downloaded the file:
  • sudo chmod +x VirtualBox-5.2.7-120349-Linux_amd64.run
    sudo ./VirtualBox-5.2.7-120349-Linux_amd64.run
You're on a Linux host. Most things are *not* dbl-click... ;)
MrZasen

Post by MrZasen »

Ok, thanks for the help installing this (it worked perfectly), I'm really a noob :C
Now I encounter this when trying to run a VM I have just created, I haven't placed the iso yet, just starting it...
i .imgur. com/319nFOL .png?1 Can't post links yet, but it's just imgur file to show the error, just delete the spaces.

Error In supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime
RTR3InitEx failed with rc=-1912
The kernel do not match this version of VirtualBox. The installation not successful. Executing '/sbin/vboxconfig' may correct this. Make sure you do not mix OSE and PUEL version of VB.
where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what: 4
VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912) - The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the user.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

MrZasen wrote:Can't post links yet
But you can attach images. See the Upload attachment below the reply form. But in this case you didn't have to, it's sometimes better to actually describe things. Images cannot be searched ;)
socratis wrote:You should completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version
MrZasen wrote:Make sure you do not mix OSE and PUEL version of VB.
You didn't completely remove the previous version as I told you to. Make sure you do, before you install the official version. Search for how to in the webs. I usually use "apt-get purge <name>", but your preference may be different...
MrZasen

Post by MrZasen »

Perfect, it worked, thanks a lot!! I've just tried reloading a snapshot, and works so smoothly and loads fast!! THANKS!!!