[Solved] Guests cannot boot after installation of GA

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
DdB
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: many

[Solved] Guests cannot boot after installation of GA

Post by DdB »

Hi,

i may be on the wrong subforum, since i dont know, what the exact cause/circumstances are for this to happen:

I was using 5.1.30 on stretch, with plenty of vm's (different guest OS's) on it.
After upgrading to 5.1.32 and installing GA into the guests, the first few ceased to start properly but ran into an endless loop.
So i decided to give 5.2.6 a try instead, removed the old install, installed a fresh one, but same behavior: As soon as the GA gets into guest, (no matter if debian stretch, sparky testing or Ubuntu Xenial), the boot failed on about 10 VM's. Only Windows would apparently work fine.
But the troubles got so nasty, that i reverted back to 5.1.30 for the time being.

Can anyone confirm, or create a bug report right away?
Last edited by socratis on 19. Jan 2018, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guests cannot boot after installation of GA

Post by socratis »

DdB wrote:right away?
If you weren't a day late, that "right away" might have had some gravitas. Or if there was not a note in the Downloads page, the "Important" one, just before you download VirtualBox... And about 10 duplicate bug reports... ;)

There are 5.1.33 and 5.2.7 Guest Additions, mainly for Linux guests with 3D acceleration enabled. Try them out...

PS. Please use the search functionality next time...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DdB
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: many

Post by DdB »

socratis wrote: There are 5.1.33 and 5.2.7 Guest Additions
Thanks a lot.
Yes, i failed at searching for duplicates. Shame on me.
Now, the sun is shining again. :-)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.