Export/Import of VirtualBox instance does not work the same across different machines

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jj007

Export/Import of VirtualBox instance does not work the same across different machines

Post by jj007 »

HI All,
Using Virtual Box 5.1. I export a virtual box instance from one machine having host OS Windows 10 64 bit and guest OS Oracle Linux 7.4. All the networking bits work on my first machine (one I use to export) including database connectivity, internet. The VM instance is self contained means all the software components run in the VM

I then try to import the virtual box instance into another machine running Windows 10 64 bit. However, internet does not work, cannot connect to the database.

The first machine has a wired ethernet connection and the second one is connected to internet via wifi. Also, don't why database connectivity fails.

Please advise how to resolve this issue.

Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Export/Import of VirtualBox instance does not work the same across different machines

Post by mpack »

socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Export/Import of VirtualBox instance does not work the same across different machines

Post by socratis »

jj007 wrote:The first machine has a wired ethernet connection and the second one is connected to internet via wifi.
If you're using the Bridged mode, then you'll need to adjust which network card your VM is bridging to.

BTW, is this the same procedure and error in the topic that you opened 4 months ago? I was tempted to either lock one of the two, or merge the two. Maybe it will be best if I merge them, because you're really, really thin on the details. You don't tell us the exact errors, you don't tell us the process, no mention of IPs or network ranges. Nothing. You can't possibly expect us to solve this with our eyes closed, or by simply guessing, right?

So, it this the same issue as the one in "VM has network connectivity issues" topic?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jj007

Post by jj007 »

Hi Socratis,
I tried few things , changing bridged to NAT, instead of export/import tried cloning. However, nothings is working.

When you say thin on details what exactly are you after. >>IPs or network range...how to find that. netstat ifconfig, does it matter.

The other one was an old VM issue. The issue is the cloned VM does not work with the wireless, no internet connectivity.

Please advise, I can provide specific details if needed.

The old post was for a previous VM.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jj007 wrote:When you say thin on details what exactly are you after. >>IPs or network range...how to find that. netstat ifconfig, does it matter.
Everything and anything related. From IPs, to DNS, to network modes used, to the way that you're trying to connect. Plus a complete run (cold startup, login, complete shutdown) that includes the problem. ZIPPED please.
jj007 wrote:The other one was an old VM issue.
I unlocked the other thread and I repeated the call for the Minimum information needed for assistance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jj007

Post by jj007 »

Hi Socratis,
Will run the below commands when I get home and provide screenshots

1) ifconfig
2) less /etc/resolv.conf
3) netstat -nr

Thinking that will provide you with details to start.

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The *most* important piece of information is the log. From *both* hosts:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Please do that for *both* hosts.
jj007

Post by jj007 »

Hi Socratis,
Please find the attachment for VM log and details below

Code: Select all

>>ifconfig

enp0s3: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.XXX.XXX  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.164.255
        ether 08:00:27:64:6b:90  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 330  bytes 21552 (21.0 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
        inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
        loop  txqueuelen 0  (Local Loopback)
        RX packets 245  bytes 21053 (20.5 KiB)
        TX packets 245  bytes 21053 (20.5 KiB)

virbr0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.122.1  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.122.255
        ether 52:54:00:48:6f:9e  txqueuelen 0  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)

Code: Select all

>>netstat -nr
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
0.0.0.0         192.168.164.17  0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 enp0s3
192.168.122.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 virbr0
192.168.164.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 enp0s3
Attachments
VM_log2017-12-15-23-57-25.zip
(26.2 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Last edited by socratis on 15. Dec 2017, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Do you have a chance to test the second system with a wired ethernet connection?
Bridging with a wireless card doesn't always work because it is outside the official WLAN specifications.
jj007

Post by jj007 »

The second system with the ethernet connection is the one I clone from and it works fine. I even tried changing bridged to NAT same result does not work.

Just finding it difficult to debug network connectivity issues. Please advise.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Some distros have a hard time when the Mac address changes try the following:
edit the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules or you can delete the rules and Linux will configure it on the next boot.
jj007

Post by jj007 »

I do not have this file 70-persistent-net.rules

Thanks
jj007

Post by jj007 »

I found this note in the documentation
Bridging to a wireless interface is done differently from bridging to a wired interface, because most wireless adapters do not support promiscuous mode. All traffic has to use the MAC address of the host's wireless adapter, and therefore VirtualBox needs to replace the source MAC address in the Ethernet header of an outgoing packet to make sure the reply will be sent to the host interface. When VirtualBox sees an incoming packet with a destination IP address that belongs to one of the virtual machine adapters it replaces the destination MAC address in the Ethernet header with the VM adapter's MAC address and passes it on. VirtualBox examines ARP and DHCP packets in order to learn the IP addresses of virtual machines.
Still cannot get it to work. Any soultion or debug steps appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Bridged and wireless don't always play nice. It may or may not work. Some combinations of Routers/Access Points, WLAN cards and drivers work, some don't. See: Bridging & Wifi - Supported hardware and add your experience. For example, it works fine in my home, but not in my office. Same laptop, same VM. Try to see if it works either with wired bridged or with NAT.