Cannot start VMs

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
LupusTumulus

Cannot start VMs

Post by LupusTumulus »

Hello

I have seen different variations of this kernel issue throughout the web. Unfortunately- after hours (days actually), of trying and re-trying- I cannot get my VMs to start. I am currently attempting to run this on Kali Linux.

ERROR MSG 1:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Puppy Linux.

The virtual machine 'Puppy Linux' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}
ERROR MSG 2:
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall virtualbox-dkms package and load the kernel module by executing

'modprobe vboxdrv'

as root.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT
BASIC ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS-
-I have tried

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install dkms
-I have tried purging, removing, updating, and reinstalling dkms
-I have tried purging, removing, updating and reinstalling virtualbox.
-I have installed virtualbox via terminal and from the website.
-I have tried

sudo modprobe vboxdrv
-I have tried creating a .conf file in the perceived appropriate directory and inputing the vbox kernel modules.

Summation(?)
-The issue may be that /dev/vboxdrv doesn't exist in my system. I'm gathering that I have to "activate" modprobe vboxdrv for the issue to be neutralized, but I have no idea how to do it.

I'm curious whether anyone has had this specific issue, and whether they remember how to fix it.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot start VMs

Post by socratis »

You left out a couple of tiny details. What's your host? What VirtualBox version are you trying to install?

You shouldn't be installing VirtualBox with apt-get because it defaults to your distro's repository, which is a fork of VirtualBox. Try to download the official one from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

BTW, DKMS is no longer required.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Don't forget to purge your current ( OSE ) install of VirtualBox or you will have more issues with conflicts and use dpkg to install with.
LupusTumulus

Post by LupusTumulus »

Hello All

Thank you for the responses. My host is Kali Linux ... presumably Debian 8 'Jessie'. Appropriately- I had initially downloaded the Debian Jessie AMD64 from the website provided and installed from the terminal. Was this the incorrect thing to do?

Also to confirm... to remove virtualbox completely, I would issue the following commands?

sudo apt-get remove virtualbox-\*
sudo apt-get purge virtualbox-\*
I didn't realize the instructions pertaining specifically to Debian Installation a short scroll down from the download links. . . so as soon as I re-confirm the removal commands- I guess I'll start from there.

Thank you in advance.
LupusTumulus

Post by LupusTumulus »

Hello

Still having issues with this. Clearly I am not installing this correctly. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction with regard to someone who may have had a similar issue recently and/or the current (updated) method of installing virtualbox onto kali linux (2017.1).
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Steps to install.

Kali is based off Debian so necessary pagkages are listed below.
  • sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential
Then you install via a terminal.
  • sudo dpkg -i <the package you want to install>
Watch closely for any error messages or warnings and record the information then post here.
lothario

Post by lothario »

socratis wrote:You shouldn't be installing VirtualBox with apt-get because it defaults to your distro's repository, which is a fork of VirtualBox. Try to download the official one from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
If that is the case, why does https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads explain how to install v5.2.2 from the Debian distros?

And why does this user have the same problem with the "official" .deb as well?

I've also just apt purged virtualbox and kms, and installed the official deb. Hasn't fixed anything:

vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run
  /sbin/vboxconfig
as root.

$ sudo /sbin/vboxconfig
[...]
vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run
  /sbin/vboxconfig
as root.

socratis wrote:BTW, DKMS is no longer required.
Then why does the same page above say
Note: Ubuntu/Debian users might want to install the dkms package to ensure that the VirtualBox host kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt and vboxnetadp) are properly updated if the linux kernel version changes during the next apt-get upgrade.
?

According to this answer on AskUbuntu, the problem is with Secure Boot.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

You can use apt-get to install the official version "IF" you set up the repo properly and use the correct wording for the package when you install. While dkms is not a requirement any longer at least for the guest, it may be a benefit to use it on the host to make sure that the proper packages are updated and configured during a kernel update.

Note: the OP was asking about kali and not ubuntu. Even they are both built on the debian base they are slight differences you need to take into account.
lothario

Post by lothario »

I followed the steps from the Secure Boot post linked on AskUbuntu (signing the kernel modules) and that solved the problem.

I found that super arcane though, and I don't fully understand the security implications of those commands.

Give also the numerous reports of this issue, I think VirtualBox should put up some official documentation on what to do about Secure Boot.