[NonIssue] Guest options cd

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
JoeTinAZ

[NonIssue] Guest options cd

Post by JoeTinAZ »

upgraded to 5.1.24. Running Debian Jessie in VM. Get permission denied as root trying to run autorun.sh on CD. Does work fine in Solaris, Winxp, and Win7. Maybe I don't know the procedure to load it.
If I am in the GUI, and insert the CD, it asks to run it. Then it either says Oops had a problem or can't find program. I assume this should run for Debian Jessie?
DdB
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: many

Re: Guest options cd

Post by DdB »

JoeTinAZ wrote:upgraded to 5.1.24. Running Debian Jessie in VM. Get permission denied as root trying to run autorun.sh on CD. Does work fine in Solaris, Winxp, and Win7. Maybe I don't know the procedure to load it.
If I am in the GUI, and insert the CD, it asks to run it. Then it either says Oops had a problem or can't find program. I assume this should run for Debian Jessie?
Lacking information: What is the host?
Have you ever used Guest Additions before? (Are you familiar with their use?)
Do you mean Additions, when you say "options cd"?

But apart from all the confusion, you are spreading (not intending to, i guess), a quick answer could be:
Jessie is configured to not automatically give root access to the CD, once it is attached to the system. What i do (most of the time) is this:
Verify the CD is mounted, note where (MOUNTPOINT=/media/USERNAME/VBOX...), and execute this:

Code: Select all

sudo bash $MOUNTPOINT/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
Do not forget to add your preferred user to the vboxsf group after this, or you will have problems to access Shared Folders.
JoeTinAZ

Re: Guest options cd

Post by JoeTinAZ »

Yes, the VboxLinuxAdditions, and yes, that worked. before, I attached the cd and did su and called autorun.sh. Thank you, this suggestion worked fine.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: [NonIssue] Guest options cd

Post by frank »

Autorun does not properly work in Debian guests, that's a known issue. IIRC Debian mounts CDs with the 'user' option which makes it impossible to execute and binary or script directly from the CD.

So when the medium with the Guest Additions is inserted just start the installer manually as suggested.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

frank wrote:IIRC Debian mounts CDs with the 'user' option which makes it impossible to execute and binary or script directly from the CD.
Oh. So you can't run the GAs installer manually either? That would explain why I totally failed to install the GAs when I was trying to test something with Debian 9 a couple of weeks ago. The GAs was just a nice to have so I just moved on to the main problem.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Manual is the only way to install the additions in Debian 9. Usually from the command line in an elevated terminal (su/sudo ) as follows:

Code: Select all

sh '/media/cdrom0/VBoxLinuxAdditions-amd64.run' 
d9-guestadd.png
d9-guestadd.png (28.41 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
Note: the version I use is custom but it works the same with the official binaries.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Thanks Perry.