Windows Guest Crashes Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
peterryall

Windows Guest Crashes Host

Post by peterryall »

hello (I'm new to this forum - be gentle with me :-) ),

I have a Windows Guest that 'runs' on a CentOS 7 base, but keeps crashing the whole box, and yet when I transfer the image to another box this time with a Windoze (10) base it runs without an issue.

What logs (and where) can I look at to help me solve this issue? (Can anyone else help me? - What can I provide?)

pr
peterryall

Re: Windows Guest Crashes Host

Post by peterryall »

some details ... it's VirtualBox 5.1 and CentOS 7 has all current updates applied.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

peterryall wrote:I'm new to this forum - be gentle with me
And that's why you posted in the "VirtualBox API" section :D. I'm moving this to the "Linux Hosts" section, because that's where you're having the problem with.

In order to better understand the problem you need to submit some more information. Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.

Specifically for the VM log file ("VBox.log.zip"), here's what you do:
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or paused state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error. Do you do anything specific to make the crash happen?
  3. When you relaunch VirtualBox, right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  4. Save it (only the first VBox.log), ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
I would also like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
peterryall

Post by peterryall »

Sorry about that (i need a driver's licence).

2. there isn't anything SPECIFIC that crashes the entire box, but it LOOKS like whenever it's doing some network calls.
4. VBox.log.zip attached.

2. SOE.vbox.zip attached.
Attachments
SOE.vbox.zip
(2.1 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
VBox.log.zip
(16.23 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Last edited by peterryall on 27. Jun 2017, 04:40, edited 1 time in total.
peterryall

Post by peterryall »

further to this i have a CentOS image that runs with no issues, and when i export the Windows image and transfer it to a windows (5.1) base it runs fine.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

peterryall wrote:when I transfer the image to another box this time with a Windoze (10) base it runs without an issue.
Can you do me a favor? Open a VBox.log from the VM that it actually runs without a problem (I don't want to see the whole log). Search for "Matched host CPU" and post that whole line. For reference the one that you have in the setup that crashes is:
00:00:00.365690 CPUM: Matched host CPU INTEL 0x6/0x9e/0x9 Intel_Atom_Unknown with CPU DB entry 'Intel Pentium N3530 2.16GHz' (INTEL 0x6/0x37/0x8 Intel_Atom_Silvermont)
Other than that, your recipe and the log look fine.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
peterryall

Post by peterryall »

running vbox log search extract ...

00:00:00.346207 CPUM: Matched host CPU INTEL 0x6/0x9e/0x9 Intel_Atom_Unknown with CPU DB entry 'Intel Pentium N3530 2.16GHz' (INTEL 0x6/0x37/0x8 Intel_Atom_Silvermont)
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Again the wrong match for
00:00:00.484749 Full Name: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz"
which is definitely not a "Intel Atom / Pentium N3530" ;)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Martin
That's why I though of asking. The 1st computer's (crashes) VBox.log showed that. I asked for the information from the 2nd computer (doesn't crash) and it shows the same. I was hoping it wouldn't.

@peterryall
I've changed my mind :shock: . I *do* want to see the complete, zipped VBox.log from the 2nd computer where the same VM doesn't crash. I should have asked from the beginning.
peterryall

Post by peterryall »

Martin wrote:Again the wrong match for
00:00:00.484749 Full Name: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz"
which is definitely not a "Intel Atom / Pentium N3530" ;)
maybe i pasted incorrectly (from today) ...

00:00:04.306926 CPUM: Matched host CPU INTEL 0x6/0x9e/0x9 Intel_Atom_Unknown with CPU DB entry 'Intel Pentium N3530 2.16GHz' (INTEL 0x6/0x37/0x8 Intel_Atom_Silvermont)

i'll grab the log (as soon as i can remember which box i did it on!) :-)
peterryall

Post by peterryall »

solved (but happy to try and make this work for 5.1)?

ok ... I found the system that it worked on ... but (while someone is away) I have no access to the logs.

so ... on the system I was having difficulty with I downgraded VB to 4.3 (suggested by a colleague) and
the same (intital) windows image - that failed in 5.1 - worked fine. using the same disk in 4.3 rendered
it not bootable.

(unhappily I - due to the vagaries of my work place I have had to tear down the original laptop so I don't
have that anymore either)

I will be installing another system next week and will try an upgrade from 4.3 to 5.1 next week and see
where that leaves the - now working - image.