Double Instance of VB When Running a Single Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
tokyotea01

Double Instance of VB When Running a Single Guest

Post by tokyotea01 »

Since updating to v5.1.18 on Debian Jessie KDE, I am seeing two instances of VirtualBox on my desktop when running a single Guest. In the preview popup box, I see the VirtualBox instance running my Windows Guest (I have Guest VBs for XP, 7, and 10 Insider and I see this when running any of them) and a second box which contains a blank square and the User Interface bar on the bottom. It appears that what I am seeing is one (Windows) running inside the other (clear box) and KDE reports that two instances of VB are operational. Behavior is mostly unchanged, but I am wondering why I am getting this result. I've checked announcements and other user comments and don't find another reference to this behavior. At this point this is curiosity rather than a problem. If changes were made in the way VB operates, is there some place we can refer for information?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Double Instance of VB When Running a Single Guest

Post by mpack »

That's perfectly normal. Running a VM involves multiple processes, though why windowless processes are shown on your desktop would be a question for the authors of your desktop manager.

Please provide a VM log before continuing this discussion. Any VM will do. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
tokyotea01

Re: Double Instance of VB When Running a Single Guest

Post by tokyotea01 »

Thanks. My first conclusion was that something normally hidden was seeing light and air for the first time, but wanted to check with the experts. Using the box stock desktop manager in KDE, so am not sure why the change occurred. Don't find any recent changes / updates to the manager files, so ASSumed that I should approach the issue from the VB side. As requested, a zipped copy of the most recent log file is attached.

BTW, (a non-related to this discussion issue that I was going to ask about elsewhere) if you see, in passing, any flags that would indicate the reason why video gets reset to 1480x1020 (3:4) every time a new Windows Insider Build is installed -- requiring me to reinstall WIN 10 Insider from an .iso and and let it upgrade to the latest Build before running Guest Additions to get back to 1920x1080 (9:16) -- I'd be grateful for the identification of the issue. I am unable to spot any despite trying to parse pre- and post-upgrade logfiles side by side and any new eyes on the problem may help lead to a solution for that, too.
Attachments
WIN 10-2017-05-01-17-22-01.log.zip
(30.95 KiB) Downloaded 6 times