I'm unable to start saved VM after upgrading to 5.1.20

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
kaisbe
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 7

I'm unable to start saved VM after upgrading to 5.1.20

Post by kaisbe »

Hello.
Yesterday, I upgraded VBox from 4.3 to 5.1.20 (the latest version). I've currently 2 VMs: Windows and Ubuntu guests.
Now the Ubuntu guest works fine; but that's not the case for the Windows one which fails to start, along with VBox showing the following error message:
"Invalid parameter. (VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER).Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)Component: ConsoleWrapInterface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}"
This issue is specific to the version 5 of VBox, because this error didn't occur at all before the upgrade.

I need some help regarding this issue.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: I'm unable to start saved VM after upgrading to 5.1.20

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.
eacbelcher

Post by eacbelcher »

There is one small problem with posting logs. There are none for that day (at least under 5.2.20. I never got to try and start a guest. I was simply trying to start VirtualBox so I could upgrade the Extension pack before trying to start a guest. As I couldn't even get that far, I simply uninstalled VirtualBox 5.1.20 and re-installed 5.1.18, reloaded the Ext Pack and carried on. The logs show this. Sorry.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

kaisbe wrote:I upgraded VBox from 4.3 to 5.1.20 ... the Ubuntu guest works fine;
eacbelcher wrote:I never got to try and start a guest. I was simply trying to start VirtualBox so I could upgrade the Extension pack before trying to start a guest. As I couldn't even get that far,
Your first message says that you started VirtualBox and you even started a guest. Your second message says that you couldn't start 5.1.20 and you downgraded to 5.1.18. So, which is it?

And about the title of the thread, if you upgrade VirtualBox while your VMs are in a saved state, you might face this. You can either download to the last version that you used while saving the VM state, shut it down completely and then upgrade VirtualBox, or, you can discard the saved state, losing potentially what's in the memory of the VM, something similar to losing power and having your guest abruptly shut down.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Your first message says that you started VirtualBox and you even started a guest. Your second message says...
Socratis, These are two separate users, apparently with similar issues and probably different causes.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Rule # 1: Look at the poster's nickname. Oops!
:o :shock: :oops:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kaisbe

Post by kaisbe »

Perryg wrote:Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.
Attachments
log.txt
This is the Windows guest VM log.
(37.57 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

@ kaisbe,

Then you need to discard the saved state or revert to the last known working version of VirtualBox, start the guest and then shut it down properly. Then the upgrade should work.
kaisbe

Post by kaisbe »

@ Perryg

The problem still remains, even after discarding to the saved state or reverting back to any prior fifth version. However with v4.3, I don't have any problem at all.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Post a guest log of the working version.
kaisbe

Post by kaisbe »

@ Perryg

I'm sorry for the delay in replying, my slow internet connection has required a lot of time for installing the old version (4.3).

The log is attached below.
Attachments
log.txt
VBox 4.3 log
(97.85 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Last edited by kaisbe on 23. Apr 2017, 20:57, edited 2 times in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

If I was a betting person I would put my money on the CPU not having VT-x.

Code: Select all

00:00:01.387462 HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is not available.
00:00:02.581944 Full Name:                       Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU       T4400  @ 2.20GHz
You may need to stay with the older version of VirtualBox, or post a ticket at bugtracker and see if they plan on making software virtualization work these days.
kaisbe

Post by kaisbe »

Perryg wrote:If I was a betting person I would put my money on the CPU not having VT-x.
Yes, you're right. So, if I understand correctly - does the version 5 work only with hardware supporting VT-x?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I can only guess but I have been seeing a lot of users that have older PCs that do not support VT-x having issues running guests in the newer versions. Since I don't have one of the older PCs I have no way to prove the statement but as I said I would bet on it.
kaisbe

Post by kaisbe »

@ Perryg

OK. Then I would stay with the fourth version, and report a bug. Thanks.