How to get files into Guest without Copy/Paste.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Shafty

How to get files into Guest without Copy/Paste.

Post by Shafty »

Hi Members,
I must need to run a 4 Page ansible playbook (starfish.yml) in my CentOS 7 (Minimal OS - Only Command Line). Now I know Despite of installing Guest Additions, if you don't have a GUI in your Guest you cannot do a Copy and Paste nor the Shared Folders. Is there a way to Put that ansible playbook in an internet storage and make it run on my Linux Guest. Please Help me...

With Hope,
Prabhakaran
Attachments
PlayBook.zip
Starfish
(12.7 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by mpack on 23. Sep 2020, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Make the title useful.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Is there a way to do it?

Post by scottgus1 »

There are some ways one can get a file into a guest if one cannot use Guest Additions Shared Clipboard:

1. a second disk.
You can place the files you want in the guest in an ISO file (a CD image) on the host, then nmount that ISO in the guest's CD drive. Inside the guest OS, open the CD drive and get the file.

2. a real shared folder over a network.
Set up a Bridged or Host-Only network to the guest. Share a folder on the host OS. Find the shared folder on the network using the guest OS's methods to see and access the host OS's shared folder. (This shared folder is not made through Virtualbox, it is not a Guest Additions Shared Folder.)

3. the internet.
Set up a NAT or Bridged network to the guest. If you can access the internet in the guest OS you can access internet web services in the guest. If your guest OS is command-line-only, you will need a command-line-only method to access the files off your chosen file-sharing web service.

4. possibly Guest Additions Shared Folders.
Shafty wrote:if you don't have a GUI in your Guest you cannot do a Copy and Paste nor the Shared Folders
I believe that Guest Additions Shared Folders are available in a command-line-only guest OS with Guest Additions installed. See the manual, section 4, Guest Additions. GASFs are only for copying files, so don't run the playbook from the GASF, copy it into the guest OS first.
JustinH

Re: How to get files into Guest without Copy/Paste.

Post by JustinH »

You could also setup a local web server (or any other type of server) to access your files. It might be easier than an Internet server.