Fail to export appliance

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bgoodman4

Fail to export appliance

Post by bgoodman4 »

I just recreated an XP VM because I was having a problem with the original failing to boot (my 1st XP VM creation) and I gave up on trying to resolve the problem. The new XP VM runs fine but when I try to export the appliance I get a "Failed to export appliance" error message. I have searched the net for a solution but the discussions I have looked at either are not relevant (ie: regarding Apple host) or beyond my level of understanding.

I am running a guest XP machine on a win 10 host. I am very new to virtualization and only moderately computer literate so I am hoping that someone can give me clear and understandable suggestions as to how to resolve the issue. I need to be able to run XP so I can use lotus 123. I have a complex spread sheet that I use for work and am now beginning to regret getting a new PC with 10 rather than sticking with my old win 7 machine.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may offer.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Fail to export appliance

Post by scottgus1 »

Please try the export again, and if it fails, post the exact error message (use the Copy button if there is one). Also zip and post the Vboxsvc.log found in "C:\Users\{you}\.Virtualbox", using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

In addition, why are you trying to export it?
bgoodman4

Post by bgoodman4 »

I want to export it as a backup. I had created an XP VM yesteday and was just about finished setting it up when it failed to boot. I had created a snapshot prior to the failure and tried to revert to this snap but it did not help. I tried to fix the problem but was not successful so I deleted the machine and started over. I should mention that there was a fair bit of time between the creation of the snapshot and the ultimate failure to boot. Time in which I spent a few hours working in the VM.

Here is the error message you requested.

Failed to export appliance M:\Virtual Machine XP\Windows XP.ova.

Could not create the exported medium 'Windows XP-disk001.vmdk' (VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER).

Result Code: VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1}

Requested zip file is attached, thanks for your attention to this problem.
Attachments
WinZip Backup2020-09-14-22-57-45.zip
(145.67 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Contents of zip file:
.vbox file
.vbox-prev file
vbox.log
vbox.log.1
vbox.log.2
vbox.log.3
vboxhardening.log
all from the guest's folder

Requested file:
Vboxsvc.log
from "C:\Users\{you}\.Virtualbox"

Got distracted? :?

No matter, your purpose in exporting is not the right way to go. Export does not back up a VM. It prepares a copy of the VM for running on a non-Virtualbox hypervisor, like VMware or Hyper-v. Export also changes some guest settings, and a change in the guest means there's no way to confirm the backup. Export also changes the guest's UUIDs which can break activation, such as XP requires.

Cloning does the same as Export in regard to UUIDs, so cloning is no good for backups either.

The best way to back up is to fully shut down the guest from the XP Shut Down button. Then make a simple file-copy of the guest folder, with the guest .vbox file, Snapshots and Logs folders, and the guest virtual disk file(s). The copy can be 'FC' file-compared on local backup media, or hashed for offsite media, to confirm the copies. Restoring is simply copying the backup files over the top of the originals while the guest is not running.

Make and confirm the backup, then delete the snapshot. Snapshots are 'time markers', not backups or standalone guest states. Deleting one merges the data back into the previous guest disk in the chain. Assuming nothing on the computer glitches while this process is happening, you should not lose any data. The backup covers the obvious problem with the assumption.
bgoodman4

Post by bgoodman4 »

Thank you very much for the interesting information. I am glad to know this now rather than way down the road. Could I trouble you to tell me exactly where the files I should be copying to back up my VM are to be found.

Also, if I were to get a new PC would pasting these files into the new PC in the correct location allow me to run the XP Machine on the new PC? Before I got my new PC I set up a win 7 VM on the old one and then exported the appliance. Once I got the new PC I simply copied the exported appliance file to the new PC, installed VBOX and imported the appliance. All ran as hoped for. Would the senario you have described work as well? No urgency here as the new PC should be good for years but you never know when you will have to transition to a new PC due to hardware issues.

I have attached a screen shot of where you indicated the files are that you wanted zipped. I do not see the file you requested.

Lastly, does the problem with exporting the appliance indicate some sort of compromised machine?
Attachments
this is what I have there.jpg
this is what I have there.jpg (63.98 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

bgoodman4 wrote:where the files I should be copying to back up my VM
The folder 'C:\Users\bgood\Virtualbox VMs\Windows XP' you show in your screenshot is the guest folder for your XP guest. If you decide to leave the guest as it is, copy the folder "Windows XP" for the backup, along with the guest's disk file, which is not shown in that folder and is somewhere else. You have to find it and copy it too. (There is a way to consolidate the guest into one folder so only the one folder needs be copied, see below.)

Having the guest disk outside the guest folder is possible and in some circumstances necessary. But in most circumstances the guest disk file should be in the guest folder next to the guest's .vbox file. Then the guest backup can be put on any capable Virtualbox host, doubleclick the .vbox file to register it with Virtualbox and the guest should be ready to go on the new PC.

If the guest disk is outside the guest folder, as is yours, then the path to the guest disk is an absolute driveletter:\path\to\diskfile, and you must duplicate this path on the new PC manually. And you could forget to back up the disk file.

Virtualbox 6.0.x and later have Move functions that can consolidate the guest folder and guest disk so a backup is more reliable and restorable. Shut down the guest completely, not save-state, then consolidate the guest.

If your guest drive file is on the C drive, use the main Virtualbox window's File menu, Virtual Media Manager. Select the guest disk file, then the Move command, and move the guest disk into the guest folder. Your guest disk file appears to be on the C drive, from the .vbox file posted above:
location="C:/Aa 03/xp mode/sources/xpm~/VirtualXP.VHD"
so this is the method you'd use to consolidate your guest.

If your make a guest where the guest disk is on a different drive, like the D drive in your screenshot, first, in the main Virtualbox window, right-click the guest and choose Move. Pick a folder on the PC's drive where the guest disk file is stored. Then use the Virtual Media Manager as above to move the disk file into the guest folder.
bgoodman4 wrote:I have attached a screen shot of where you indicated the files are that you wanted zipped.
Take a look again:
your path: 'C:\Users\bgood\Virtualbox VMs\Windows XP'
my path: "C:\Users\bgood\.Virtualbox"
See the difference?

Soon as you figure out the path difference, we can try the question on the export error. You will need to try the export once again before posting the VboxSVC.log.
bgoodman4

Post by bgoodman4 »

Thank you very much for the mostly clear information you have provided, I will work through it again latter when I can concentrate on the process properly. For now I am attaching the files you have asked for, sorry I had missed that period in the location info but I believe I have the correct files now.
Attachments
NewZip.zip
(103.67 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The zip file contains the entire folder of 25 items , not just the Vboxsvc.log I requested, but it is in there. Regrettably there is no further information available as to the cause of the error.

This particular error appears to have only showed up one other time and the cause was never pinned down.

My only guess is to empty the CD drive, which still has the Guest Additions ISO in it.
bgoodman4

Post by bgoodman4 »

My PC does not have a CD drive (laptop) which is why I used an iso file downloaded from MS (I actually have a new retail version of XP that I intended to use for the building of the machine but the only directions I could find on the net referenced using an iso file). I thought I would use my old PC which does have a cd drive to copy the installation files to a USB flash drive but did not ultimately do this). Would you suggest I try building a new machine or am I OK to stick with the one I have already built given the inability to export the application?

Thank you very much for the assistance you have rendered in this issue with my XP machine and backing it up. I will try the backup procedure you outlined above this weekend and test it to see if I got it right. Again your assistance is very much appreciated.
bgoodman4

Post by bgoodman4 »

Well I decided to rebuild my XP machine and I am sad to say I have the same problem with exporting the appliance. I have tried the backup method suggested and it works without issue. I will keep a link to this thread so I can reference it when I get a new PC down the road and need to move my virtual machine to the new PC. Thanks again for all your help, it is much appreciated.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Glad you're up and running!
scottgus1 wrote:My only guess is to empty the CD drive
Sorry for not being clearer: that was the guest's CD drive that had the Guest Additions ISO and might be emptied. Of course, fwiw, I'm having a but of a hard time seeing how one could put an ISO into a physical CD drive. :lol:
bgoodman4

Post by bgoodman4 »

Thank you for the clarification. :idea: :D