Kali black screen on install with 6.1.14

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
awhite

Kali black screen on install with 6.1.14

Post by awhite »

Issue on my new Dell XPS 15 9500 (2020). No matter what setting I try it always stops the install at a black screen and never progresses. All my BIOS settings are on for virtualization and I’ve ran through the gamut of troubleshooting settings. Hyper-v on or off doesn’t help. Only thing I can think of is that it’s an issue between my Nividia GPU and Virtualbox. I’ve also tried a pre built ova file from offensive security as well as a fresh install using the 64 bit installer iso. Either one always goes to a blank screen when attempting to install Kali and nothing else. I’m hoping someone else has solved this.

My system:
Dell XPS 15 (9500)
32GB RAM
1TB SSD
NVIDIA GTX 1650 Ti
Windows 10 Pro (2004 build)
VirtuaLBox 6.1.14
awhite

Re: Kali black screen on install with 6.1.14

Post by awhite »

Problem solved. Turning off Hyper-V from programs and features wasn’t enough. The below command worked as many others have used as well. Virtualization security in msinfo32 needs to be disabled and this is the only way I got it to work.

Enter this command:
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

Enter this command:
shutdown -s -t 2
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you kept up the hunt and found a solution!
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

It is very likely the same issue as https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19884
emun

Post by emun »

awhite wrote:Problem solved. Turning off Hyper-V from programs and features wasn’t enough. The below command worked as many others have used as well. Virtualization security in msinfo32 needs to be disabled and this is the only way I got it to work.

Enter this command:
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

Enter this command:
shutdown -s -t 2
Thanks. Your solution is the only one that works for my windows10 20H2. Helped a lot:)
mmarks9156

Post by mmarks9156 »

@awhite I had to sign up for an account just to say thank you as I've been working on this for over a week now.

The commands entered in Windows 10 powershell fixed this issue and now both my VM's are running just fine.

Thanks again!
xzus

Post by xzus »

Only working solution I have found, but doing this makes Docker incompatible as it requires virtualization to be enabled. If anyone is able to find a solution that allows Kali and Docker to work simultaneously please let me know :D
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Not at present. The only options require a reboot. VirtualBox will not run successfully if the Windows hypervisor is loaded, and docker will not run if it is not.
Bill
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

xzus wrote:If anyone is able to find a solution that allows Kali and Docker to work simultaneously please let me know
Docker can only run natively in Linux. On a Windows or macOS host, Docker therefore needs a (sometimes hidden) Linux VM. In consequence, the following combinations will work:

1. On a Linux host, use Docker natively and a VirtualBox VM with Kali Linux.

2. On a Windows or macOS host, run 2 VirtualBox VMs, 1 with a Linux distribution of your choice and Docker, and 1 with Kali Linux. Or use Docker inside the VirtualBox VM with Kali Linux.