Audio received from Windows 10 Guest is choppy and loops(Windows 10 Host (on amd 64bit))

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
aaron7c

Audio received from Windows 10 Guest is choppy and loops(Windows 10 Host (on amd 64bit))

Post by aaron7c »

I am running virtualbox on my Windows 10 PC (AMD 64 bit) and I made a windows 10 (64 bit) virtual machine. However, the audio is very choppy and cuts out/loops. I tried disabling the audio enhancements. I'm not too sure what else to try. I've looked around on forums and haven't seen my exact issue anywhere??
Host Driver: Windows DirectSound
Controller: Intel HD Audio
Base Memory: 16384 (I have 32gb of ram)
Processors: 6 (I gave it all 6 for now to try to fix the issue since I saw more cores helps.. no luck! I know its bad. (my host is running good so don't worry)
EDIT: Changed to 4 cores because of mod's suggestion.
Acceleration: VT-x/AMD-V, Nested Paging, Hyper-V Paravirtualization

Log:
FL Studio MM1-2020-08-06-21-51-14.zip
(31.61 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
[/color]

SOLVED:
No one was giving a good response so I thought I would mess around with the settings and do my own research.
I decided to change my paravirtualization to hyper-v and it fixed it!
(I also enabled pae/nx and 3d acceleration but that didn't fix it at first)
Last edited by aaron7c on 14. Sep 2020, 18:40, edited 4 times in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Audio received from Windows 10 Guest is choppy and loops(Windows 10 Host (on amd 64bit))

Post by scottgus1 »

Sorry to bother you, but split logs cause trouble for those who would help with your problem.

Start the guest from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the guest from within the guest OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the guest with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Also, all six cores in the guest will cause trouble, even if only to make the guest run slower due to extra scheduling oversight on the host. Extra cores only helps if there's extra parallel processing software installed in the guest OS.
aaron7c

Re: Audio received from Windows 10 Guest is choppy and loops(Windows 10 Host (on amd 64bit))

Post by aaron7c »

scottgus1 wrote:Sorry to bother you, but split logs cause trouble for those who would help with your problem.

Start the guest from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the guest from within the guest OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the guest with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Also, all six cores in the guest will cause trouble, even if only to make the guest run slower due to extra scheduling oversight on the host. Extra cores only helps if there's extra parallel processing software installed in the guest OS.
Thank you, I've updated my post accordingly.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for posting a zipped log. I don't see anything wrong with the audio setup in it. The settings in the configuration are the same as on a Windows 10 guest over here.

The guest core count is down to four from the whole host compliment of 6. I would try 2. Windows 10 does run better on 2. Only add more cores if you add parallel processing programs that can generate more cores' worth of data, or the guest will run slower.

Also, how long has this 10 guest been allowed to run? Modern Windows requires a couple days' running to get itself all indexed post-installation.
aaron7c

Post by aaron7c »

scottgus1 wrote:Thanks for posting a zipped log. I don't see anything wrong with the audio setup in it. The settings in the configuration are the same as on a Windows 10 guest over here.

The guest core count is down to four from the whole host compliment of 6. I would try 2. Windows 10 does run better on 2. Only add more cores if you add parallel processing programs that can generate more cores' worth of data, or the guest will run slower.

Also, how long has this 10 guest been allowed to run? Modern Windows requires a couple days' running to get itself all indexed post-installation.
I have not run this guest long. I will run it in the background to test this. I switched to 2 cores now as well. Now I have an issue where the sound completely doesn't work after cutting out for a bit. Regardless, ill try running it, thanks!
aaron7c

Post by aaron7c »

aaron7c wrote:
scottgus1 wrote:Thanks for posting a zipped log. I don't see anything wrong with the audio setup in it. The settings in the configuration are the same as on a Windows 10 guest over here.

I have not run this guest long. I will run it in the background to test this. I switched to 2 cores now as well. Now I have an issue where the sound completely doesn't work after cutting out for a bit. Regardless, ill try running it, thanks!
I have not seen any progress after running windows for a while. Any ideas? It still cuts out and loops audio. For example: I try to watch a youtube video and each word is repeated twice (roughly)
I am not sure what else I can do?
RogerCD

Post by RogerCD »

Hey guys, I just wanted to share that I'm facing the same issue on my various Windows 10 installations. I've tried disabling/enabling VBoxGuestAdditions, changing the Audio device, Changing the number of cores, VT-x/AMD-V, Nested Paging, Hyper-V Paravirtualization, and even cloning a laptop in a Phyisical to Virtual process.

My Windows 10 guest installations include:
  • Windows 10 Pro versions 1507, 2004 and 20H2.
  • Windows 10 Enterprise version 1909
Since I've found too many people experiencing the same issue, I assume that this is some kind of VirtualBox bug or limitation. My host PC has an AMD Ryzen 9 3950x processor with 128 GB of RAM, so resources should not be a concern.
VerbaL

Post by VerbaL »

aaron7c wrote: SOLVED:
No one was giving a good response so I thought I would mess around with the settings and do my own research.
I decided to change my paravirtualization to hyper-v and it fixed it!
(I also enabled pae/nx and 3d acceleration but that didn't fix it at first)
[/color]
I have the same problem, and since i need to use A/V Chat Software inside the GuestOS with a webcam, the only method i found to have W10/64 not crackling is to limit CPU to 1 core, from 2/4 :roll:
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Please check out the test builds. Audio changes were implemented. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103089