After VirtualBox update one VW can not start

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Osmenia

After VirtualBox update one VW can not start

Post by Osmenia »

Hi Team,

I am running two vm server 2019 and 2012 on virtualbox. I am not able to start VW 2019 after update. Server 2012 still works.

What could be problem. Can you pls help me.

Pls see attached log file!

tnx a lot
Attachments
VBox.zip
(63.7 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: After VirtualBox update one VW can not start

Post by mpack »

What's "VW"? Your VolksWagen won't start? I'm not sure that qualifies as a VirtualBox problem! :)

I would guess you mean "VM", but M and W are at opposite ends of my keyboard, so I'm genuinely not sure what it means.

Assuming it does mean VM, let's look at the log.

The error is "VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT", pretty much the instant it starts to boot from the hard drive, so my first guess is that the vdi file has been corrupted. Did you recently copy this file from one place to another?

Incidentally, your host has 2 cores, both of which have been allocated to the VM. There's no good solution to this, but you need to aware that your host is not an ideal choice for this VM, and over committment can lead to stability and performance problems.
Osmenia

Post by Osmenia »

Hi,

Tnx for your Answer, sorry VW => VM.

can you please see log file. I have 4 CPU 16 GB Ram, VM 2012 works fine but VM 2019 does not work.

Yesterday before Virtual Box update works fine, after update virtualbox to 6.1 does not work.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(58.53 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Both logs contains these lines:
{timestamp} HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
{timestamp} NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...

You might notice in the guest window's Status Bar the green turtle: Image The choice of animal is appropriate: Your guest is running, just really slow. Or it might guru-meditate. This is because a service that uses Microsoft Hyper-V is running on your host PC. Normally Hyper-V blocks Virtualbox. But your PC is of the type and OS where Virtualbox can attempt to run the guest using the Hyper-V engine. This arrangement is still being developed and isn't 100% yet.

If VirtualBox is running without Hyper-V enabled, and nothing else is interfering with hardware virtualization (VT-x / AMD-V), then the usual virtualization icon (Image) will be seen in the Status Bar.

To turn Hyper-V off completely, do this:

1. Shut down all programs. You will have to reboot your host.

2. See I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. This tutorial has a couple more things to look for in step 2. Be sure these are all turned off.

3. Find the Command Prompt icon, right click it and choose Run As Administrator.

4. Enter this command:
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
5. Enter this command:
shutdown -s -t 2
6. When the computer turns off, unplug it for 20 seconds. Then plug it in again and boot up Windows 10.

If your Virtualbox does not start successfully, zip and post another vbox.log. For further info, see https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/139 ... puter.html
Osmenia

Post by Osmenia »

It works now!

Thanks a lot for your help!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »