nvd3dumx.dll certificate not valid

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: nvd3dumx.dll certificate not valid

Post by scottgus1 »

The devs have been informed of this Nvidia problem, but they have not yet informed anyone of a time frame for a solution.
squall leonhart
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 8, 10, Android x86

Post by squall leonhart »

Oracle and Nvidia are jointly working on the issue, I have no further information than that as it was just a post on the nvidia forums.
jacobd

Post by jacobd »

New NVIDIA 456.71 drivers released: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
Confusingly this has the same version number as the hotfix driver I posted earlier. Assuming this final version may contain more changes than the prior one.

I found this snippet in their release notes: https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/ ... -notes.pdf
Obtaining NVIDIA Drivers: Microsoft now provides only SHA-2 signed drivers. If your Windows 7 system is NOT equipped to detect SHA-2, you need to install the SHA-2 update support patches. For details as well as access to SHA-2 update support patches, see the Microsoft KBA "2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support requirement for Windows and WSUS"
The Microsoft KBA referenced is here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... s-and-wsus

The NVIDIA security bulletin claims these drivers resolve some CVEs: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers ... a_id/5075/
Including this interesting sounding one:
CVE‑2020‑5980
NVIDIA Windows GPU Display Driver contains a vulnerability in multiple components in which a securely loaded system DLL will load its dependencies in an insecure fashion, which may lead to code execution or denial of service.
squall leonhart

There are no code changes at all between the HF(attestation) and WHQL releases, only difference is the type of WHQL signature applied, and the availability of a Windows 7/8 version.
bird
Oracle Corporation

Post by bird »

The problem should be fixed with 6.1.15-140873 and later. Fresh build on the https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds page. Test feedback is extra appreciated this time as the changes aren't entirely trivial (we didn't used to verify more than the first signature, now we check them all).

Cheers, bird.
Knut St. Osmundsen
Oracle Corporation
Elwexo

Post by Elwexo »

Well I'm off to an inauspicious start...

This was after a reboot / reinstall / reboot cycle. I'll try uninstalling and then a reinstall.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine [name].

Failed to load R0 module C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks\Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack\win.amd64\VBoxEhciR0.r0: Not valid kernel code signature.: \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks\Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack\win.amd64\VBoxEhciR0.r0 (VERR_SUP_VP_NOT_VALID_KERNEL_CODE_SIGNATURE).

Failed to load ring-0 module 'VBoxEhciR0.r0' for device 'usb-ehci' (VERR_SUP_VP_NOT_VALID_KERNEL_CODE_SIGNATURE).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Elwexo

Post by Elwexo »

No joy; logs attached if anyone is keen for a look.
I'm going to have to roll back as I can't have these VMs out of action for long.
Attachments
logs.zip
(33.85 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Elwexo, that error means your Extension Pack is out of date. EP & VB versions must match. Get the matching 6.1.15 EP.

Save the 6.1.15 Virtualbox installer. It won't be downloadable after 6.1.16 comes out, and if your Windows MSI database goes south you'll have a huge problem updating without the 6.1.15 installer.
Elwexo

Post by Elwexo »

scottgus1 wrote:Elwexo, that error means your Extension Pack is out of date. EP & VB versions must match.
That's odd, during the installation I was prompted to update the EP and (thought that I) did so. Will have another look.
squall leonhart

Elwexo wrote:
scottgus1 wrote:Elwexo, that error means your Extension Pack is out of date. EP & VB versions must match.
That's odd, during the installation I was prompted to update the EP and (thought that I) did so. Will have another look.
Test builds of Vbox will not download test builds of the extension pack (afaik), it will download the latest public release.
Elwexo

Post by Elwexo »

squall leonhart wrote:Test builds of Vbox will not download test builds of the extension pack (afaik), it will download the latest public release.
I must have misinterpreted something - there was definitely the prompt that I'm accustomed to, to download/apply/delete the EP installer. Weird. I'll try again later.

The installed version I upgraded from was 6.1.12, now 6.1.14 which is working normally.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

I think you might be slightly confused. The pop-up prompt you get from VirtualBox relates to the 'Guest Additions' installation in Guest Machines and happens only when you launch a Virtual Machine after a VirtualBox upgrade has been performed, as the Guest Additions installer file (ISO) is included in the VirtualBox installation, ready to apply if wanted. The Extension Pack is installed on the Host machine and there is no prompt from VirtualBox (that I've ever seen) to upgrade. It cannot be included within the VirtualBox installer because it is subject to a separate; and more restrictive (non-OpenSource) License, as I understand it. It has to be downloaded and applied (upgraded) separately if its features are needed and the user is able to accept its Licence Terms.
Elwexo

Post by Elwexo »

multiOS wrote:I think you might be slightly confused.
You are correct :-)
Elwexo

Post by Elwexo »

Womp womp. This is after installing the extension pack (same build as the test build).

I think I'll just wait for the release at this stage!
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(19.32 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

A guest vbox.log, instead of the hardening log, will help us to confirm that you have installed the 6.1.15 Extension Pack to go with the 6.1.15 Virtualbox you have installed. And the vbox.log will reliably tell us if you are still getting Nvidia driver errors. Can you please post the vbox.log?