Host win10/guest winxp - Guest not found domain win10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
sniffer

Host win10/guest winxp - Guest not found domain win10

Post by sniffer »

Hi

My Host is Win 10 and guest is winxp, the network configuration is bridge, but the guest can't find the network of the Host and DOMAIN, when ping in host and guest are same range IP, but network of the Host not found

:-(

Tia
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Host win10/guest winxp - Guest not found domain win10

Post by scottgus1 »

Right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show in Explorer. Zip the guest's .vbox file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Also, please provide text outputs of 'ipconfig /all' on the host and the guest, and ping to the guest from the host, as well as ping to the host from the guest.

Be aware that XP does not have the ability to see Windows 10 shared folders, because XP uses only the SMB1 shared-folder protocol, and 10 disabled SMB1 due to WannaCry.

Also, XP might have trouble joining Server 2016 or 2019 domains.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I agree. XP is too old to behave well as a domain member or to share files with later versions of Windows (client or server versions). It is really more like NT as far as domain membership/file sharing is concerned. The modern network sharing system only came out with Vista. XP relies on the old NT-style system of SMB1 and the computer browser service (may it rest in peace).
Bill
sniffer

Post by sniffer »

Hi

Follow the attached files, I have to use xp on the guest because I have to compile some things in visual basic 6 (very very old)

TIA
Attachments
PINGS.TXT
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
IPCONFIG_ALL.txt
(8.65 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
VM-ITX-MRV 1.7z
(2.31 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

.vbox wrote: <Adapter slot="0" enabled="true" MACAddress="080027D244CE" cable="true" promiscuousModePolicy="AllowAll">
<BridgedInterface name="Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260"/>
</Adapter>
host ipconfig wrote:Adaptador de Rede sem Fio Wi-Fi:
Descrição . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless-N 7260
Endereço IPv4. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.15(Preferencial)
guest ipconfig wrote:Adaptador Ethernet Conexão local 4:
Endereço IP . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.85
pings wrote:GUEST TO HOST
ping 192.168.15.15
Pacotes: Enviados = 4, Recebidos = 4, Perdidos = 0

HOST TO GUEST
PING 192.168.15.85
Enviados = 4, Recebidos = 4, Perdidos = 0
You are Bridging to a host Wi-fi adapter. Bridged sometimes doesn't work with Wi-fi, due to limitations in the Wi-fi protocol. But in your case it appears to be working. A successful ping to a computer out on the LAN would fully confirm this.

But you have complete Ping between host and guest, meaning that the Virtualbox network, between host and guest at least, is working. If you can ping a computer on the LAN from the guest too, then the Virtualbox network is completely working, and your domain connection problems are limitations of XP vs modern OS requirements.

BTW, you may not have to attach XP to a domain to run the XP guest in the network. At my old workplace we had some PCs, XP and Windows 7, which were not connected to the office domain, but were able to see and use the shared folders.

XP will not be able to see shared folders on Windows OS's 10 (possibly 8 ) and later. However, Guest Additions Shared Folders do work between XP and the host Windows 10. You should be able to do your compiling completely in XP, then transfer the compiled file to Windows 10 through a Guest Additions Shared Folder to the host, then transfer from the host folder to the LAN. Using Guest Additions, you can even disconnect the network in the XP guest completely if you want.
sniffer

Post by sniffer »

Thanks for your answer

what I would like to do is to see, without sharing, the network that the host has through the guest, because all source code and library are in network

previously it worked and saw normally, it stopped working when I had to change the password

and previously it even worked with NAT, now even switching to bridge works
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

sniffer wrote:previously it worked and saw normally, it stopped working when I had to change the password
This is an essential piece of information and should have been in the first post. A lot of troubleshooting could have been avoided.... What else have you accidentally not mentioned? An update of the domain from Server 2003 to 2019, perchance?

In some way you haven't put the new password in correctly.
sniffer

Post by sniffer »

Hi

What is strange is that the guest authenticates, accesses the internet, but does not allow access to network drives. I don't know if it's relevant, but I'm working in the homeoffice and using a vpn