Returning my Windows 10 (Host) partitions back to normal after VM oracle deletion.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Jaee

Returning my Windows 10 (Host) partitions back to normal after VM oracle deletion.

Post by Jaee »

Hi,

I am at a loss where to go from here. My C:\ has the partitions from several VM guest accounts (Windows enterprise and server 2012).
I have released and removed using the virtual box (choosing to delete the files), then uninstalled the software.
I have deleted the files from C:\Users\<user name>\VirtualBox VMs\<Name of Guest>\
Additionally, I have searched C:\ for the location of virtual Hard Disk files for the Guests (*.vdi or *.vhd or *.vmdk)

However, my C:\ on my host (Windows 10), does not reflect this on my SSD partitions.
Disk management: I still have several partitions that have not been released back to my SSD. And each have no right click options, however, my main C:\ does.

How do I go about fixing this?

Thank you
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Returning my Windows 10 (Host) partitions back to normal after VM oracle deletion.

Post by BillG »

VirtualBox does not create partitions on any of your physical hard drives. The program is installed in Program Files on your C: drive and the virtual hard drives are installed wherever you direct (C:Users/yourusername/VIrtualBox VMs by default). Partitions which are created by the VirtualBox guests only exist within the virtual hard drive and will vanish when the .vdi is deleted.

What makes you think that the partitions on your SSD are related to VirtualBox?
Bill