[Solved] Where can I find an up-to-date tutorial?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bishoposiris

[Solved] Where can I find an up-to-date tutorial?

Post by bishoposiris »

I'm using Windows 10 and I want to install Linux in Virtualbox. All the tutorials I'm finding are dated and since the last update the interface is completely different.
Last edited by bishoposiris on 7. Jul 2020, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Where can I find an up-to-date tutorial?

Post by scottgus1 »

The only tutorial that we have is the Virtualbox manual, chapter 1. One thing, it'll be accurate...
bishoposiris

Post by bishoposiris »

The manual is not up to date either. They still have old instructions and screenshots. This is very frustrating. I just want to set up a linux vm on my windows machine but I can't find anything showing me how to do it on the newest release. Help?
bishoposiris

Post by bishoposiris »

Come on guys. Surely someone here can tell me how to do this... I can create a VM but I'm not prompted for a medium to boot from. I have a version of Linux on a flash drive but I don't know how to install it to the VM. This is as far as I can go:
Attachments
Virtual Box Dead End.png
Virtual Box Dead End.png (99.77 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

bishoposiris wrote:Come on guys.
You do not seem to understand that as a free Virtualbox user you have absolutely zero right to any support. If someone feels like bothering themselves, they might post in response to your post. Dial back the entitled attitude.

As I said, what you want (a completely up-to-date tutorial) does not exist yet. You can either read between the lines, exercising your reading comprehension on the tutorials that do exist. Or pay someone to make a tutorial for you.

Besides, you asked for a tutorial. Now you are asking how to start an installation. Different question. Forum rule: One issue, one thread

Further, your bedquilt-size screenshots need to be shrunk.

Although Virtualbox can apparently boot from a USB stick using the EFI boot environment, a completely new user like yourself should download an install ISO from the Linux distro you want to try.

In the main Virtualbox window you have shown, click the Machine menu, New command. The New Guest Wizard will appear.

In the Name: box, type the name of the new guest you want to make. If you start typing the name of the Linux distro, the New Guest Wizard will automatically set up the new guest for that distro. (If you try to click Next and Virtualbox puts up an error saying the guest already exists, add some characters to the name.)

Click all the Next and Create buttons until the New Guest Wizard finishes. Double-click the guest to start it.

In the 'Select Startup Disk' box that appears, click the yellow folder on the right. The 'Optical Disk Selector' box will appear.

Click Add, then browse to the ISO of the Linux distro you downloaded, select it and click Open, then click Choose in the 'Optical Disk Selector' box, then Start.

The ISO should now start the install process for the Linux distro. Follow that distro's instructions for installing.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

How would you install an OS on a physical machine? It is really very similar.

First of all you need to create a virtual machine. For your first vm, use the default profile provided by VirtualBox. If you want to install ubuntu 64-bit, select that as your option to install. That will create a vm configured for a typical install of ubuntu x-64.

To install as OS in this vm, assign the installation media to the appropriate drive, then start the vm. The simplest method, as Scott said, is to assign the ISO installation file to the optical disk of the vm, then start the vm. It will boot from that and proceed with the installation just as a physical machine does.

The only disk file I can see in your huge screenshot is a 3G .vdi file. What is this? (Not the installation files, I hope. They go on a virtual removable drive, not the virtual hard drive. Just as with a physical PC).

The hard drive default for ubuntu is at least 10G. I would make it 20G. (It only actually uses the physical disk space it needs, and expanding is possible but a nuisance). This is where the OS will be installed, after the drive is partitioned and formatted by the installer.

At the end of the installation, remove the installation media from its drive, just as you would for a physical PC, so the the vm will boot from its virtual hard drive where the OS is now installed.
ubuntu.PNG
Bill
bishoposiris

Post by bishoposiris »

I apologize if I came across as entitled. That was not my intention. The "Come on guys" was a please help me sad puppy eyes plea for assistance. Not "Come on guys give me some help right now!" I sometimes get impatient and don't think before I speak or write in this case. I very much appreciate your help. I'm up and running now thanks to you. Again, my sincerest apologies.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

No problem at all! Glad you have a running guest! If you have any other questions feel free to ask, we'll see what can be done.