KDE NEON Linux Guest Windows Host Screen Resolution

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
copps

KDE NEON Linux Guest Windows Host Screen Resolution

Post by copps »

II have 10 Versions of Ubuntu and Debian Providers installes as Linux Guest no Problem.
I have installed last Version 6.1 VirtualBox
The only One no possible to change the screen Resolution of 800x 600 also not first in the live modus
is KDE NEON last build.
Also not possible by as installed version - using and trying with a notebook and PC using Nividia Graphik.
The point Grafik Kontroller in the settings of VirtualBox:
VMSVGA - showing in KDE Neon there is noticed no function ...
Using VBOX VGA and VBOXSVGA ther is coming the info wrong settings in configuration in virtualbox.
But by this using the KDENeon sometimes switch to 1024x 768 .... and the back next time startet
The Guest Additions i have installed.
But i think it is the main problem because the Live Version startet first it is there also not possible to change away from 800x 600
Do someone have infos ?
Sorry for my only litle engish know how
Best regards to all Forum Peoples
from Germany Rostock
Wolfgang
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: KDE NEON Linux Guest Windows Host Screen Resolution

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the guest from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the guest from within the guest OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the guest with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Feel free to use German, it seems to translate well through translating websites.
Dan P

Post by Dan P »

Copps...

This may be a quick fix.... I found this on the 'net, and works for me.... VBoxManage with the setvideomodehint option. You issue this in a Command Prompt box- while the Virtual Machine is starting.

Example: vboxmanage controlvm PopOs_Lnx setvideomodehint 1920 1080 32
1920-xres 1080-yres 32- Bits per pixel
PopOs_Lnx- Virtual Machine name

I am on Windows 10, with the guest being Pop Os linux.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm on VirtBox version 6.0.10... And for some reason you can't set the video resolution where the Settings is for General | System | Display | Storage, etc... are. It would be nice to be able to set it once, like the other settings are set.... and then forget about it.

Hope this helps....
mobc

Post by mobc »

Hi,
There is a known bug/problem in KDE Plasma, that can be fixed manually:
" KDE Plasma5 can't change resolution in VM..." . Here is the bug report link:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=407058
The bug report also has the fix for the problem inside the comments.
The KDE developers don't have time to solve this bug, so users will have to wait or fix the problem themselves.

To fix the problem you have to disable KScreen2.
To enable changing the resolution in PCLinuxOS live iso inside Virtualbox, here's what I did:

I disabled KScreen2 from Start Menu > Background Services > Startup Services and then I increased the display resolution from 800x600 and the change was persistent.
The resolution didn't immediately reset to 800x600 if KScreen2 is disabled. Even if KScreen2 is enabled but its Status is "Not Running", the resolution cannot be changed, so make sure to disable KScreen2.

I expect the fix will work with VMWare, too.