Windows 10 Enterprise 2004 crashing in virtualbox after reboot

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bmxliveit

Windows 10 Enterprise 2004 crashing in virtualbox after reboot

Post by bmxliveit »

VirtualBox Version: Version 6.0.22 r137980 (Qt5.6.2)

I'm trying to create an image with MDT and I typically use VirtualBox to create the image, then capture it etc. I've never had a problem until today. It goes through sysprep, then reboots and immediately crashes with the following error. I've tried a mixture of settings including enabling PAE/NX, increasing CPU and memory, and switching between a VDI and a VMDK disk.

I am able to capture Windows 10 Enterprise 1909 the exact same way with zero issues.

Apply Windows BCD -> Restart Computer -> Loading Files then it crashes with the following: A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped. See the log files etc. I checked the logs and didn't understand exactly where to look for a crash/error.
Attachments
virtualboxerror.png
virtualboxerror.png (19.03 KiB) Viewed 5091 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 Enterprise 2004 crashing in virtualbox after reboot

Post by scottgus1 »

Seems the log isn't posted?

Start the guest from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the guest from within the guest OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the guest with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
RBDAV2012

Post by RBDAV2012 »

I have the same exact issue, I attached my log.
Can someone help me please?
Attachments
VBox.zip
(66.79 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
RBDAV2012

Post by RBDAV2012 »

bmxliveit wrote:VirtualBox Version: Version 6.0.22 r137980 (Qt5.6.2)

I'm trying to create an image with MDT and I typically use VirtualBox to create the image, then capture it etc. I've never had a problem until today. It goes through sysprep, then reboots and immediately crashes with the following error. I've tried a mixture of settings including enabling PAE/NX, increasing CPU and memory, and switching between a VDI and a VMDK disk.

I am able to capture Windows 10 Enterprise 1909 the exact same way with zero issues.

Apply Windows BCD -> Restart Computer -> Loading Files then it crashes with the following: A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped. See the log files etc. I checked the logs and didn't understand exactly where to look for a crash/error.

Did you manage to fix the issue?
I have the same exact problem, everything works in older Windows 10 enterprise version but not in .
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

RBDAV2012, The only thing I see in your log that might be a problem is that you have all available physical host cores available for the guest. Try two cores in the guest.

The guru meditated on "Triple Fault", which means something so unusual happened that Virtualbox couldn't figure out how to deal with it. What the problem is was not visible to me, however.
RBDAV2012

Post by RBDAV2012 »

Error message screen shot
Error message screen shot
Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 12.47.49 PM.png (37.78 KiB) Viewed 4737 times

thanks scottgus1 for the reply, I might have sent you the log file before clicking ok on the error message.
I want to provide you more details.
The virtual box version I am using is 6.1.14.
I successfully installed windows 10 - 2004 on VM, no issues there, then I use MDT script to capture the OS.
When I click on the LiteTouch script from MDT share folder, it runs the sysprep without any error message then on the first restart i see the attached message.
Based on your suggestion, I used only 2 cores this time, but no success.
And i have to say i never had any issues with older VM version and windows 1903 ISO, but since I updated both my VM to the latest version and using windows 10 - 2004 ISO file, i'm experiencing this issue.
Attachments
Windows 10 - Stage 1-2020-10-01-12-47-54.zip
VM log file
(66.51 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

What is MDT?
RBDAV2012

Post by RBDAV2012 »

Microsoft Deployment Toolkit
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

So far I don't I see anything indicating a problem, the guest just triple-faults on the reboot. We'll have to wait for another user that might know what's up.

One possible idea:
When the guest does the reboot, and the Oracle Virtualbox BIOS screen shows for a couple seconds, click the window's close box and power down the guest. At that time only the BIOS is processing, so it should be OK to kill the guest. Then start the guest fresh from full power down, see if it guru-meditates.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

In the Windows 10 - Stage 1-2020-10-01-12-47-54.log file, the final nail in the coffin is a VERR_PAGE_TABLE_NOT_PRESENT error, but the VM-exit history already contains several VMX_EXIT_EPT_VIOLATION before that. The crash is too deeply rooted for my current level of VirtualBox implementation knowledge.

I haven't searched for other forum topics (yet), but if that doesn't lead to new ideas, I'd suggest to make an entry in the Bugtracker.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Searching on the Bugtracker and the VirtualBox forums lead to very few cases of similar problems, including one where I already failed to explain it myself (Re: virtualbox cpus problem), and one that was solved and explained by Ramshankar 8 years ago (Re: Suddenly Guru Meditation), and their explanation could fit here also.
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

EPT violation and EPT misconfig VM-exits are entirely normal. They're used for nested page-faults and MMIO accesses from the guest. However, this needs more investigation. I took a quick glance at the VBox.log uploaded earlier (the one that was triple faulting) and I didn't notice anything obvious in the log. The guest triple-fault after a couple of MSR write VM-exits, but if those were unsupported MSRs, we would see them in the VBox.log reported by our IEM (Instruction Emulator) component but that doesn't seem to be the case either.

We might have to reproduce this ourselves to further debug the issue.

EDIT: I looked at the last 2 logs uploaded here and both seem to be using SMP (more than 1 VCPU). Does this guru meditation happen if a single VCPU is used in the guest?
Oracle Corp.
ndavis82

Post by ndavis82 »

I am having this exact issue and need a fix ASAP. Anyone had any luck???
ndavis82

Post by ndavis82 »

Ramshankar wrote:EPT violation and EPT misconfig VM-exits are entirely normal. They're used for nested page-faults and MMIO accesses from the guest. However, this needs more investigation. I took a quick glance at the VBox.log uploaded earlier (the one that was triple faulting) and I didn't notice anything obvious in the log. The guest triple-fault after a couple of MSR write VM-exits, but if those were unsupported MSRs, we would see them in the VBox.log reported by our IEM (Instruction Emulator) component but that doesn't seem to be the case either.

We might have to reproduce this ourselves to further debug the issue.

EDIT: I looked at the last 2 logs uploaded here and both seem to be using SMP (more than 1 VCPU). Does this guru meditation happen if a single VCPU is used in the guest?
Yes, it also happens with one VCPU. I've attached my logs as well.
Attachments
VBox.7z
(37.57 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
RBDAV2012

Post by RBDAV2012 »

I'm still having the same issue with even one cpu