Windows 10 Enterprise 2004 crashing in virtualbox after reboot

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
RBDAV2012

Re: Windows 10 Enterprise 2004 crashing in virtualbox after reboot

Post by RBDAV2012 »

I think this has to do with both Windows 10 version 2004 and new virtual box.
Unfortunately on my test computer I'm not sure what VB version i used, everything was working fine with Windows 1909 and older VB.
All these started after I upgrade to latest VB and used Windows 2004.
I even had issues with installing Windows at first place when I wanted to deploy LiteTouchPE_x64 on VB, after lots of research i managed to fix it with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Xfen6 ... nnel=BTNHD
but then during the capture i'm receiving this error.
ndavis82

Post by ndavis82 »

RBDAV2012 wrote:I think this has to do with both Windows 10 version 2004 and new virtual box.
Unfortunately on my test computer I'm not sure what VB version i used, everything was working fine with Windows 1909 and older VB.
All these started after I upgrade to latest VB and used Windows 2004.
I even had issues with installing Windows at first place when I wanted to deploy LiteTouchPE_x64 on VB, after lots of research i managed to fix it with this:

but then during the capture i'm receiving this error.
The problem occurs even with older versions of VB. Luckily, I still had the installation file for VB version 6.0 and I downgraded it from the newest version. Windows 10 2004 has the same error when trying to boot into Windows PE after sysprep capture.

Are you using BIOS or UEFI in VB?

I'm going to try installing Windows using the EFI method in VB and see if it makes a difference after the sysprep capture.
Last edited by ndavis82 on 20. Oct 2020, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
ndavis82

Post by ndavis82 »

I just completely discovered a workaround by accident! If you boot from your LiteTouch ISO instead of letting VirtualBox boot from the hard drive it will successfully load Windows PE and will capture the reference image.

I was intending to reformat the hard drive with a fresh installation but because LiteTouch had performed the sysprep stage on the hard drive then as soon as it booted into Windows PE it immediately started the capture.
RBDAV2012

Post by RBDAV2012 »

Good news is I solved the problem.
I just downgraded my Virtual Box to Version 6.1.0 r135406 (Qt5.6.2) and everything works fine.
Now I can easily sysprep and capture my windows to WIM file without any issues in MDT.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Ramshankar wrote:We might have to reproduce this ourselves to further debug the issue.
Did you find time to investigate further?

FWIW, there is a new case (Nested virtualization, Windows 8.1 64bit, multiple CPUs lead to crash) with the following characteristics: If the nested guest is configured to use 1 vCPU, the VERR_PAGE_TABLE_NOT_PRESENT error doesn't occur. If the nested guest is configured to use 2 vCPUs, the VERR_PAGE_TABLE_NOT_PRESENT error occurs on the 2nd vCPU, again around the time of the AHCI controller reset after booting the guest OS. The 2nd vCPU is still in 32-bit mode at the time of the fault (it hasn't switched to 64-bit mode yet). The latter maybe helps to narrow down the location of the fault.
MattTheTest

Post by MattTheTest »

Splattering this answer around to the places I saw trying to find the solution

After a lot of mucking around with time zones and network cards and still getting nowhere I eventually got it to work.
Administrator account is disabled by default, so when the virtual machine reboots after being sysprepped its unable to run the connection correctly.
Sysprep in H2 seems to run WinPE initially, then reboot, then logs in as administrator, runs sysprep, reboots and wim creation proceeds.
If the Administrator account is disabled it can't do its thing.

For what its worth, I also made sure my MDT server had the fix for MDT8546 installed and made sure my server was fully updated.
whois

Post by whois »

ndavis82 wrote:I just completely discovered a workaround by accident! If you boot from your LiteTouch ISO instead of letting VirtualBox boot from the hard drive it will successfully load Windows PE and will capture the reference image.

I was intending to reformat the hard drive with a fresh installation but because LiteTouch had performed the sysprep stage on the hard drive then as soon as it booted into Windows PE it immediately started the capture.

How did you boot from litetouch.iso?

I have the same problem and still got no solution for it. It looks like a MDT sysprep & Capture problem.