VMSVGA 3D acceleration is not working with Virtual Machine Platform

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Graveen

VMSVGA 3D acceleration is not working with Virtual Machine Platform

Post by Graveen »

Hello,
I run VirtualBox with KVM paravirtualization. With latest Windows 2004, WSL2 needs the "Virtual MAchine Platform" feature turned on (Windows Home, so i have a limited set of Hyper V features). My gesuts are mainly Debian Buster x64.

As soon as i'm turning on Virtual Machine Platform, the virtualisation aPI changes to Hyper V green Turtle. The VMs are still more or less working (indeed, this is slower and crashes more) but it runs.

Except the 3D accelaration for VMSVGA (or any graphic adapter). As soon as i'm activating 3D ax, i have black screens in place of desktop (XFCE, Gnome).

Is there any fix i could apply ? Should i open a ticket on bugtracker ?

Thank you !
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: VMSVGA 3D acceleration is not working with Virtual Machine Platform

Post by multiOS »

See the VirtualBox User Manual Section 9.32 and especially the warning box.

Whilst you are not using a full Hyper-V installation in Windows 10 Home, as you obviously know, Microsoft has made some Hyper-V(-like) features available to Windows 10 Home Users and those features, if used, are likely to degrade the performance of 3rd-party virtualisation software, such as VirtualBox, VMWare etc., because they grab exclusive control of VT'-x. Hence you get the 'Green Turtle' warning. The effect is obviously known by the VirtualBox developers who continue to try to improve performance, but Microsoft also continues to alter and add features that demand direct control of VT-x; and will, no doubt, do so again in the 2004 update, due soon, as 'improvements' to WSL2 have already been trailed.
Graveen

Post by Graveen »

Sadly !

I love VirtualBox that is performant and not the HyperV mess.

I use WSL and i think WSL2 is pretty impressive; and i get docker support too, either natively or through WSL2 (actually dockering inside virtualbox guest, usable but not very comfortable).
Not to mention Google Android emulator is also asking for HyperV - for now i use Haxm but they provides an hyperv based version that is, they said, better.

I'm really at a crossroad and i dislike whatever choice i'll take :)

Thank you for your answer.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

It is possible to run Virtualbox or Hyper-V as a boot toggle: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/139 ... puter.html

It is not yet possible to reliably run Virtualbox on all Virtualbox-supported hardware while Hyper-V is active. See the unfolding debacle: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=90853