Windows 10 VMs Crashing and Poor Performance

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
CVice

Windows 10 VMs Crashing and Poor Performance

Post by CVice »

I have a couple of Windows 10 VMs setup to run on my Windows 10 host in Virtual Box.

Since this morning each of them will go to the windows loading screen, then either BSOD with a "KERNEL SECURITY" error or it'll resize and go to the screen capture I have attached. Once out of every few attempts it will log in but the performance is incredibly slow. Yesterday they would launch and work without a problem.

Hyper-V is disabled, I turned off 3D Acceleration, 4 processors are being used. Any ideas? Only change between yesterday and today is I installed a VPN last night as part of my continued layered security plan. I have tried launching with the VPN on and off but I do not believe it is impacting the VMs

I have also attached the log from the most recent run of this VM
Attachments
Machine-2020-05-18-11-12-10.zip
(31.72 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Broken VM.JPG
Broken VM.JPG (65.22 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
Last edited by CVice on 18. May 2020, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 10 VMs Crashing and Poor Performance

Post by mpack »

I don't know what you did to it, but the log provided is garbage - unreadable. Please just zip and attach the log, we don't need you to process it for us in any other way. In particular we don't need you to turn it into a PDF.
CVice

Post by CVice »

mpack wrote:I don't know what you did to it, but the log provided is garbage - unreadable. Please just zip and attach the log, we don't need you to process it for us in any other way. In particular we don't need you to turn it into a PDF.
My bad - I updated the zip file so now it just contains the .log
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You have allocated 100% of available cores to the VM, leaving none for the host. Trying reducing it to 2 cores.

Also, you have Hyper-v enabled. Most likely you need to disable this to make VirtualBox happy, if you leave it enabled then VirtualBox performance will be glacial.
00:00:02.100667 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:02.143389 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
Related FAQ (especially posts #2 and beyond): FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.

It may also be worth enabling 3D acceleration: it should give a nice experience. Update the Guest Additions too.
CVice

Post by CVice »

mpack wrote:You have allocated 100% of available cores to the VM, leaving none for the host. Trying reducing it to 2 cores.

Also, you have Hyper-v enabled. Most likely you need to disable this to make VirtualBox happy, if you leave it enabled then VirtualBox performance will be glacial.
00:00:02.100667 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:02.143389 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
Related FAQ (especially posts #2 and beyond): .

It may also be worth enabling 3D acceleration: it should give a nice experience. Update the Guest Additions too.
I usually run 3D Acceleration but I disabled to try to get this machine to launch. I have turned off HyperV in my windows features and restarted multiple times so Im not sure why it thinks it is enabled.

I am reading over the linked document now. Thanks for the help so far.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Center on the 'device guard' and 'Core Isolation Details' tests, and the bcdedit command in the second post in the tutorial.