Bridged Adapter not Working over WiFi

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Broprah

Bridged Adapter not Working over WiFi

Post by Broprah »

I'm trying to open an SSH client between my host machine and my guest machine, the later of which is running Debian.

When I try to obtain the IP assigned to the VM via ifconfig -a, there is no mention of an inet addr enywhere (other than 127.0.0.1 under lo), nor is there an eth0 present, only eth1, eth2, and lo.

When I try pinging 1.1.1.1 (ping 1.1.1.1), I get the following error:
connect: Network is unreachable.

For reference, I am NOT using an ethernet cable as my laptop does not have a port for it.
My network settings are as follows:
Attached to Bridged Adapter
Name: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160 MHz
Promiscuous Mode: Allow VMs
Cable Connected - unchecked

What am I missing here?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Bridged Adapter not Working over WiFi

Post by scottgus1 »

This will definitely kill the network:
Broprah wrote:Cable Connected - unchecked
Check that box to put the cable back in.

Bridged may not always work with a Wifi adapter, due to strict implementation of the Wifi protocols by either the wifi adapter driver or the access point firmware. Technically Wifi cannot Bridge, but some combinations of wifi adapter drivers and access point firmware implement these protocols in a lax fashion so Bridged can squeeze through. If it works where you are, good.

If you can't get a good network trying to Bridge with a wifi adapter, there are a couple choices you have available, depending on if you want full on-the-LAN access for the guest, just internet, or internet and access to the host PC storage only:

1. For full on-the-LAN access, use wired Ethernet, or get a USB wi-fi adapter for the guest to use.

2. For internet in the guest while wifi-connected, use NAT or 'NAT network'.

3. For host storage access, add another network card to the guest, set to Host-Only.
Kam77Kam

Post by Kam77Kam »

Attached to Bridged Adapter
Name: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160 MHz
Just wanted to mention that I also have the same setup as you although my laptop did have a ethernet nic. Although I wanted wireless to work so I can work on the go without wires. Although, my luck ran out with the Wi-Fi 6 AX200, I tried updating drivers, changing settings on the network card in device manager/ network connections, I tried to allow specific ports on my guess machine and nothing worked. As soon as I swap to ethernet, all my problems went away. Guess I am stuck with being wired for now. Unless someone understands why @scottgus1 mentioned ...
Bridged may not always work with a Wifi adapter, due to strict implementation of the Wifi protocols by either the wifi adapter driver or the access point firmware. Technically Wifi cannot Bridge, but some combinations of wifi adapter drivers and access point firmware implement these protocols in a lax fashion so Bridged can squeeze through. If it works where you are, good.
I also want to mention, other colleagues that have the bridged adapter on wireless, with different wireless card model, do not have this issue that @Broprah and I have. :D
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Kam77Kam wrote: 3. Oct 2023, 20:28 other colleagues that have the bridged adapter on wireless, with different wireless card model, do not have this issue
Yes that fits the pattern. Some Wi-Fi drivers aren't so picky with what gets on the radio, some are. There's no telling until one tries.

If you have a fellow colleague who has the exact same Wi-Fi card and exact same driver version, accessing the exact same Wi-Fi access point, and they can get on but you can't, then there could be a Virtualbox glitch. But unless those considerations are identical, could be they have the easy-going setup and you have the boys-school headmaster version of Wi-Fi.