Centos 8 Minimal Guest addition not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Madhav

Centos 8 Minimal Guest addition not working

Post by Madhav »

Hi,

I'm using VirtualBox 6.1 on Windows 10. Just finished with a Centos 8 minimal installation in Virtual box and got stuck with Virtual Box Guest additions. Where it seems to install without any issues, but the seamless mode is disabled and copy also doesn't work.

I already have a osboxes centos 7 image which runs well with the Guest additions installed.

The GA version that is installed is 6.1.6.

Tried all the posts.updated kernel. Installed a host of tools like gcc kernel-devel kernel-headers dkms make bzip2 perl as mentioned in various posts. Ran sh VBoxLinux...sh, no errors.

Used KERN_DIR. Installed xorg.11 drivers etc. Stuck with it for hours.

The troubleshooting steps followed and the log file is attached in the image.

Adding one more point which I think is relevant. The Kernel and Kernel-devel seems different. I tried the various options provided in the links to match them, but nothing worked. It is giving me an error "Unable to find a match kernel-devel-4.18.0-147.el8.x86_64. Thought of adding as it is relevannt
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (19.88 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
Kindly help. Thanks.
Madhav

Re: Centos 8 Minimal Guest addition not working

Post by Madhav »

I restarted from scratch and was able to get the guest addition installed and the mouse pointer now works in seamless mode. But the copy paste doesn't. IF it is a minimal install, then copy paste from windows host to Centos guest would not work? Please let me know. I installed Vbox GA 6.0 and 6.2, but both didn't work. Already enabled the clipboard to bidirectional.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Centos 8 Minimal Guest addition not working

Post by scottgus1 »

If "CentOS Minimal" is text-only, then you won't have Guest Additions Shared Clipboard. The manual (and/or some forum gurus) says that an X session needs to be running for shared clipboard to work.

fwiw, Guest Additions, and Virtualbox itself, do not come in two-section version numbering:
Madhav wrote:I'm using VirtualBox 6.1
Madhav wrote:Vbox GA 6.0 and 6.2
Though some clarification is given later on in some circumstances, it is best to always state the three-section version number, so folks know what you're talking about.