Upgrade & Extensions 6.0.20 lost my USB Drives

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Oracle VM User

Upgrade & Extensions 6.0.20 lost my USB Drives

Post by Oracle VM User »

Hi everyone!

Thanks for being here to provide assistance.

I just today (a bit late as I always wait to see if any problems develop before downloading/installing updates!)
installed both the upgrade 6.0.20 and the corresponding Extension 6.0.20 for Windows 7 guest.

Using Windows 10 as Host in case Log does not say that.

Log file is attached (haven't had to ask anything for a couple of years so "yea!" for the good work you do!)

Always with upgrades I didn't have to do anything...all my old settings are transferred and work perfectly.

Not this time.

I lost not only my standard USB drive I always have in my Windows 10 laptop (as ran out of storage room there long ago)
But the "extra" USB drive I plug in specifically to use for Windows 7 applications to save to.

Both units are visible on Host Windows 10. (plugged in and out the extra USB drive just to prove this is still working)

But the USB symbol on the host screen right side row (I can't find proper name for this here!) says "no drive attached" for both of the USB
drives.

I already went into the Virtual Box Manager and selected both my existing USB and clicked on off the check box,= no change.

I already went into the Virtual Box Manager and under "settings" gear: selected "add new USB filter, with no settings set.

I tried to have the USB's activate it or be recognized...neither do it.

I have one USB Drive new"ish" 2019 or so, and other one is older style, both are 2.0 USB
Both do not appear.

[Non technical proof: Using regular laptop I just successfully uploaded the saved LOG file from my USB main use external drive! SO it is working, but not appearing on the Guest OS at all like it used to!]

Did I leave anything out?

I'm not qualified to try to create a patch to fix this myself.
Hope someone has suggestions I can follow to try without relearning all the VM programming items I've not had to use to fix anything for past few years..
Sorry! You get complacent that new updates continue to work like the old ones do!

Thanks everyone!
Be safe and well from the novel coronavirus!

P.S.
Temporary work around as I need to use Windows 7 with my USB Drives every day!
I "downgraded" backward to Oracle Virtual Box version 6.0.16
Problems!
It works with the USB Drives again
BUT...
I have no idea where my saved Extension for 6.0.16 went. I did choose to save it as I always do that until everything works for any download!

AND

Strange things happen as I'm using Extension 6.0.20 with Main program 6.0.16
1. Turning it on, it searches for several items, taking time, and installs drivers for 3 to 5 items (varies, I don't know why)
2. Turning the Virtual Box off (Exit) I can't press the key or move the arrow cursor to the exit menu/close item
Don't know why the keyboard fails.
Again must be something about using wrong Extension with the Older 6.0.16 version.

Still will await an answer for permanently fixing the problem/patches so I can use the modern version, and upgrade as new versions come out too

Thanks for reading my P.S.
(Please let me know if you ALSO want a Log of the 6.0.16... I"d rather not confuse everyone with it... I'd rather find a solution
for me and anyone else with similar problems using the new upgraded 6.0.20 WITH the 6.0.2 Extension and losing control/pathway/connections to all USB devices like Flash drives and HDD Solid States too.)
Attachments
Windows7 32bit VM-2020-05-04-13-37-40.log
Oracle VirtualBox Log file as requested!
(123.95 KiB) Downloaded 12 times