VirtualBox 6.1.6 on Win10 (1909)+Hyper-V = Memory corruption for guests

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Revertis

VirtualBox 6.1.6 on Win10 (1909)+Hyper-V = Memory corruption for guests

Post by Revertis »

Hi all,
I've tried a big number of Linux distributions to install in VirtualBox, and all of them had big problems like hangs, kernel panics, errors reading from CD-ROM etc.
And then I've tried memory test. I've tried maybe all possible configurations of VM, but every time it shows great amount of memory errors.
There is no difference in 32 or 64 bit guest, any type of chipset or CPU count.

Memory test on the PC itself doesn't show any errors.

And the problem goes away when I disable Hyper-V with command bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off and reboot. (The turtle with V is changing to a chip icon)
But I need that Hyper-V for Android emulators, they work very smooth and without any problems.

I have Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, if that matters.

Please, fix it :(
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Screenshot of memtest
Screenshot of memtest
QdMnUS.png (44.71 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox 6.1.6 on Win10 (1909)+Hyper-V = Memory corruption for guests

Post by scottgus1 »

Hyper-V does not yet coexist with Virtualbox, it's either one or the other for now. See here for a way to toggle Hyper-V at boot: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/139 ... puter.html
Revertis

Post by Revertis »

scottgus1 wrote:Hyper-V does not yet coexist with Virtualbox, it's either one or the other for now. See here for a way to toggle Hyper-V at boot...
Thanks for some response, but:
  1. I've written that if I disable Hyper-V with the command line, I'm able to use VB. It concludes, that I'm aware of that command (bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off), right?
  2. If the VirtualBox does not coexist with Hyper-V could it just show some dialog with an explanation what's going on, not trying to start VM and just trashing memory?
  3. Hyper-V is successfully used by Android Emulator, and it even does not start without Hyper-V enabled on AMD processors. Maybe it is possible to copy some code from them?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

1. Yes, you know the command, you did mention that in your first post. I showed you a way a tenforums guru came up with to allow a boot-sequence GUI-click-friendly way to switch back and forth between Hyper-V on or off without having to type the command. But if you want to type the command, it's your PC.

2 & 3 are questions for the developers. So is this:
Revertis wrote:Please, fix it
We are not the developers, and this is a user forum. So your orders and commands, however politely expressed, will not be implementable here. We are just fellow freeloaders using the free Virtualbox. You can post suggestions on the Bugtracker. FWIW the devs are already working on allowing Virtualbox to run under Hyper-V.
vachigaggl

Post by vachigaggl »

Bumping this. Others (including me) have had problems with memory corruption on Vbox 6.1 while Hyper-V is active:
zrav wrote:On Windows 10 2004 (19041), with Hyper-V, Containers and Virtual Machine Platform enabled, I can run an Ubuntu 20.04 guest in Virtual Box 6.1.8 using PV set to Hyper-V (slow turtle mode). However, the guest is not stable. I experience segfaults, hangs and the computation of hashes like SHA256 fails, preventing me from successfully running apt-get update/install, for instance. It seems the feature is not yet ready for prime time.
I can't set hypervisorlaunchtype off as I need Docker on WSL2. I wish I could use VBox for my VMs instead of Hyper-V as the later has a few crucial shortcomings. With time we'll get there I guess.
I can second this.

DO NOT (!!) use VirtualBox 6.1.8 with Hyper-V