Auto resize stopped working inside CentOS 6.5 guest on Windows 10 client

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
TranquilPilot

Auto resize stopped working inside CentOS 6.5 guest on Windows 10 client

Post by TranquilPilot »

Hi.
My host is Windows 10
guest is CentOS 6.5
I was having trouble with many things including Firefox browser, Yum command, and bidirectional clipboard. In attempts to fix them I installed the default Vbox guest additions. still didnt fix it.
So, i went on the forums and it was suggested that i should install the most latest Vbox guest additions instead of the default. So i went and downloaded "VBoxGuestAdditions_6.1.5-136807" and installed it.
while this fixed the clipboard problem now i have a new headache. my auto resize stopped working. And i have tried all the options on the list and none of them work. i also tried each option with all acceleration (3D, 2D) types and none of the combination worked.
is my VM doomed? :(
PLEASE HELP!!!
DylanHunter

Re: Auto resize stopped working inside CentOS 6.5 guest on Windows 10 client

Post by DylanHunter »

Having the same issue with a Linux Mint guest, (see my post in this forum - "Bug - 6.1.6 Full-Screen Mode with Linux Mint 19.3 Guest").

If it helps, uninstalling 6.1.6 and going back to 6.1.2 gets both resize controls to work appropriately again and bidirectional copy/paste, (6.1.4 restores the resizing, but not copy/paste).
krthie
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: ubuntu

Post by krthie »

same problem for me on Windows 10 Home, Ubuntu 18-04 host. VB 6.1.6. I had occasional problems with resizing in 6.1.4 as well.

By the way, I noticed that VB 6.1.6 has changed dual-monitor support. Previously I had to manually rescale my VB window for different monitors (vastly different DPI). Now VB tries to take care of that, but fails miserably.
csphua

Post by csphua »

I had the same issue with CentOS 8.1 client after updating to VB 6.1.6 and its guest additions, on MacOS host.

However, good news is the old trick of installing VBoxGuestAdditions_6.1.97-136310.iso also works to solve the resize issue. I installed it previously on VB 6.1.4 to resolve copy and paste issue. This was a workaround found out by another user in another forum thread.

It was found here, but not anymore. Not sure what is the new location to get it now:-

https://www.virtualbox.org/download/tes ... 136310.iso

The current test version is :
https://www.virtualbox.org/download/tes ... 136802.iso

This seems to be a newer test build (136310 vs 136802), I am not sure newer build can resolve the auto resize issue.

Looking at the version 6.1.97, it seems like a future version, but strangely in my case it can resolve regressions from two versions, 6.1.4 and 6.1.6. Why they did not use the logic in 6.1.97 for 6.1.6?