Cant install virtualbox on Windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
roundsnip

Cant install virtualbox on Windows 10

Post by roundsnip »

Hello.Recently i tried to install VB on my pc but when i open the installer an error occurs:"The folder path 'VM VB Oracle' contains an invalid character".Give me some advices
Attachments
Заснемане.PNG
Заснемане.PNG (103.81 KiB) Viewed 880 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cant install virtualbox on Windows 10

Post by mpack »

Are you overriding the installation folder path? Don't.

"VM VB Oracle" is not the name of any folder used by VirtualBox.
roundsnip

Post by roundsnip »

i had it previousley and deleted it.Is there a way that there are leftovers and how to delete them?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

roundsnip wrote:Is there a way that there are leftovers and how to delete them?
Yes of course the installer remembers the folder you chose last time, and offers it again. However you don't delete this, you simply change it to something else.

Incidentally, this screenshot also shows the correct install folder. I don't know of any valid reason to change it. For example, changing the location of the executable will not cause large data files to be located anywhere they wouldn't otherwise be.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (19.57 KiB) Viewed 861 times
roundsnip

Post by roundsnip »

I cant go to this step.When i open the installation it gives that error and it closes the installer
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

If you have the installer exe held in a root folder or any other folder containing non-USA characters anywhere on the path, then I would try moving the exe to a folder with a more conservative name.

One thing: VirtualBox does not actually have its own installer on Windows hosts. The exe is just a self extracting wrapper around a .MSI file to be installed by the standard Windows installer. So you should be able to Google for generic solutions to Windows installer problems.

Speaking of Windows Hosts, I see the topic has been created in the "Windows Guests" forum, where it is completely off topic. I will move this topic to the "Windows Hosts" forum.