Trouble with VM after host crashed

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Frank507

Trouble with VM after host crashed

Post by Frank507 »

Hello Oracle,

I am having trouble with a Windows 10 VM, generating a Guru Meditation. The likely cause for this has been an unplanned reset of the host machine.

CPU: i7-8565U
RAM: 16GB

The error logs are in the attachment and I have difficulties understanding it. After browsing the forums I have tried modifying the VM‘s RAM allocation and video resources, but this didn‘t solve the problem. Thank you for helping.
Attachments
Windows-2020-04-14-08-13-46.zip
(61.53 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Frank507

Re: Trouble with VM after host crashed

Post by Frank507 »

Sorry, this is re-posted because the attachment in the previous post was missing.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Your log contains these lines:
{timestamp} HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
{timestamp} NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...

You might notice in the guest window's Status Bar the green turtle: Image The choice of animal is appropriate: Your guest is running, just really slow. This is because a service that uses Microsoft Hyper-V is running on your host PC. Normally Hyper-V blocks Virtualbox. But your PC is of the type and OS where Virtualbox can attempt to run the guest using the Hyper-V engine. This arrangement is still being developed and isn't 100% yet.

If VirtualBox is running without Hyper-V enabled, and nothing else is interfering with hardware virtualization (VT-x / AMD-V), then the usual virtualization icon (Image) will be seen in the Status Bar.

To turn Hyper-V off completely, do this:

1. Shut down all programs. You will have to reboot your host.

2. Look into the 64-bits tutorial, 2nd post, points 2 & 3 and ensure that none of these things are running.

3. Find the Command Prompt icon, right click it and choose Run As Administrator.

4. Enter this command:
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
5. Enter this command:
shutdown -s -t 2
6. When the computer turns off, unplug it for 20 seconds. Then plug it in again and boot up Windows 10.

Your Virtualbox should be running now. If the green turtle still appears and the tell-tale lines are in the log, try all the steps again. If you don't get the standard virtualization icon, post back exactly what you did and we'll try to help some more.

For further info, see I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests and https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/139 ... puter.html
Frank507

Post by Frank507 »

Wow, it worked. Magic.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Nice! Glad you're running.