VM Reboots?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Dory_72
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2012

VM Reboots?

Post by Dory_72 »

I can do a saved state to shut it down or a complete shut down but if I attempt a reboot not only does it crash the VM but it blue screens my ENTIRE laptop! So whenever I choose to do updates I have to NOT restart. Then Shut it down and bring it back. Any ideas? I can force this to happen and collect logs if anyone wants to take a stab at it?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VM Reboots?

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the guest from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the guest from within the guest OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the guest with the Power Off option set.

Please zip and post the guest's vbox.log, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Dory_72

Post by Dory_72 »

Hey Scott, so shutting it down fully is fine and nothing will happen. it's ONLY when its running and you need to just reboot it. It cannot get a reboot. Only a full shut down if I need to reboot. I can shut downs all day.., its a reboot that freaks the VM out AND my whole laptop blue screens.

scottgus1 wrote:Start the guest from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the guest from within the guest OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the guest with the Power Off option set.

Please zip and post the guest's vbox.log, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

We will still need a guest log while the guest is rebooting. The log will be writing until your host BSODs and at least show what the guest is doing right before the host BSOD. Be sure the guest was shot down not save-stated before attempting the guest-reboot-and-host-BSOD.

You should also look into getting the Microsoft debugging programs installed that will show you how to troubleshoot a Windows BSOD. Getting these programs is detailed on Microsoft's websites. Web-search how to troubleshoot a Windows BSOD.
Dory_72

Post by Dory_72 »

Ok, once I finish using the VM and the laptop for work I'll do it and make it crash :)