Network is unreachable

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
seek_wan

Network is unreachable

Post by seek_wan »

Hey guy, im having some issues connecting to the internet. I can connect to some websites others i can't, it is really strange.
Im using virtual box on my w10, and this happens to all of my VBs now, with mint or windows Vbs. On my pc everything works fine, but not on my virtual machines.
I can ping google com but i cant ping 8.8.8.8
On the network opcions im using Bridge, and the adapters that im using are the same that my wireless is connected.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Network is unreachable

Post by BillG »

Bridged mode is not reliable when bridged to a wireless NIC. Some work, some don't.

If you can't use a wired connection in the host, your only option is to try a different wireless adapter (in the host).
Bill
seek_wan

Post by seek_wan »

I used the wired connection and I started to have internet on my virtual machine. But with wireless i could access to google and search for any website, but than when i tried to access the website and i get denied.
If I tried to seach with duckduckgo I couldnt even search, I always get denied.
I used to use this adapter with wireless on a different router and it worked, now i changed my router and stopped working via wireless.
Any ideia why?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

seek_wan wrote:I used to use this adapter with wireless on a different router and it worked, now i changed my router and stopped working via wireless.
Any ideia why?
That's the other half of what BillG was saying about Bridged not always working with WiFi. The problem is due to strict implementation of the Wifi protocols by either the wifi adapter driver or the access point (router) firmware. Technically Wifi cannot Bridge, but some combinations of wifi adapter drivers and access point firmware implement these protocols in a lax fashion so Bridged can squeeze through. Your new router is too strict and won't let Bridged through on WiFi.

If you can't get a good network trying to Bridge with a wifi adapter, there are a couple choices you have available, depending on if you want full on-the-LAN access for the guest, just internet, or internet and access to the host PC storage only:

1. For full on-the-LAN access, use wired Ethernet, or get a USB wifi adapter for the guest, and use a Virtualbox USB filter to insert it into the guest.

or:

2. For internet in the guest while wifi-connected, use NAT or 'NAT network'.

3. For host storage access, add another network card to the guest, set to Host-Only.