VM hangs when writing large files to shared folder

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
eng3

VM hangs when writing large files to shared folder

Post by eng3 »

I am running Windows 10 with a debian guest. I have shared folders setup so I can access windows folders from the guest.
Whenever I try to create/write a large file (ie >10GB), the VM entire will hang.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VM hangs when writing large files to shared folder

Post by mpack »

Try using a proper network share, not a GA shared folder.
eng3

Post by eng3 »

Yes, I've tried mounting a samba share. It does work, but it seems to be a workaround.
It also seems less reliable as any hiccup in network, etc causes the mount to go stale.
The performance seems to be worse.

The VM is setup with a bridged network so I think everything is going out thru the NIC and router.
Is there a way to setup a separate network to connect to the share locally without going thru the network adapter and router?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures. You'll probably settle on Host-Only.

Guest Additions Shared Folders are only for file transfer between host and guest. Your setup was probably asking something GASF's can't do.
eng3

Post by eng3 »

Yes, that is exactly what I was doing. Transferring files between guest and host. The VM hangs when I attempt to transfer large files.

Use of a network share to transfer files between guest and host, as suggested by you, does not hang the VM but his performance issues.

Host-Only does not work because I need to be able to access the VM over the network from outside the host. That is why I am using bridged.

The setup does not seem too unusual. It seems like a limitation in GASF's ability to handle large files.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

eng3 wrote: The setup does not seem too unusual. It seems like a limitation in GASF's ability to handle large files.
Yes, that is correct. It was not designed to handle large files. That is why it was suggested that you use a network share instead.
Bill
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

eng3 wrote:Use of a network share to transfer files between guest and host, as suggested by you, does not hang the VM but his performance issues.
Such has never been seen by me to be caused by Virtualbox Bridged, and I have transferred hundreds of GB, in 35-50GB files out of guests at times with no issues. Virtualbox Bridged to Ethernet is solid, as long as the Ethernet is solid.

I did once have issues with unstable network on a Virtualbox host. The problem was out-of-date host network card drivers. Once these were fixed, the network was stable as the Rock of Gibraltar.

Investigate your physical network, or consider using unbuffered copy mode in your file copies (XCOPY /j or Linux equivalent).
eng3 wrote:Host-Only does not work because I need to be able to access the VM over the network from outside the host
You can have two network cards in a guest. If you cannot get your physical network to run smooth, set the first to NAT for internet access and the second to Host-Only for guest-host access.