nat network dns server issues

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
majorkuso

nat network dns server issues

Post by majorkuso »

I have stood up two 2016 Domain Controllers with dhcp and dns for labs but I can't get the dns forwarding to work, I have set them up in the servers but they don't seem to go out, so far I have set the nat to port forward port 53 to host 127.0.0.1 and guest port 53 to 0.0.0.0. I put the port forward in this way after trying to put them as blank ip addresses and putting the ports as needed, but kept getting error that it needs to have an ip. what do I need to look at so that they will forward to google's dns servers or even my own pihole? Help is appreciated thanks.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: nat network dns server issues

Post by BillG »

I am confused by this. What does port forwarding have to do with DNS forwarding? Are you behind a NAT? (Sorry, of course you are. It is in the title).

How have you configured the DCs? A DC (and any domain members) should use the DC only for DNS. If the DC can ping a google DNS server, setting a forwarder to that IP in the DC's DNS server should forward any non-local DNS request (from the DC or any domain member) to that IP.

See this discussion in this forum.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97469

Running a domaIn behind NAT is possible, but it won't just happen. A NAT network uses the NAT server itself for DNS and forwards automatically. This is fine for a workgroup setup, but fails for a domain (because the "foriegn" DNS it forwards to cannot handle local domain names). You need to manually set the domain members (including the DC itself) to use the local DNS only. Then set up a forwarder in this DNS to resolve non-domain names.
Last edited by BillG on 1. Apr 2020, 03:51, edited 3 times in total.
Bill
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: nat network dns server issues

Post by scottgus1 »

Take a look through Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures to see what each Virtualbox network type does and what limitations there are.

Generally, if you can ping one way, even 8.8.8.8 for Google from the guest through a NAT, then the Virtualbox network is working, and whatever further setup you want should be done within the guest OS's. Also search the PDF version of the manual https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... Manual.pdf to see if something needs a Virtualbox setting.