Disabling hardware virtulization

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
RajinDas

Disabling hardware virtulization

Post by RajinDas »

Hi,

I am getting the message to disable the hardware virtualization in accelerator tab under system page.I have unchecked the checkbox, but still showing the message.

Can some one guide me on what i am doing wrong, this Vbox is installed on an Azure machine.
Attachments
Virtualisation.png
Virtualisation.png (22.46 KiB) Viewed 724 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Disabling hardware virtulization

Post by scottgus1 »

It's a somewhat confusing message. It asks you to do something you can't do if you are using 6.1.x Virtualbox.

6.1.x now requires hardware virtualization for all guests. Apparently your PC either has hardware virtualization (Intel VT-x; AMD-V or SVM) turned off, or another software, like Microsoft Hyper-V, is using it.

See I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests
RajinDas

Post by RajinDas »

Yes, it some thing which is impossible to set up :(

I am using Windows Server 2019 on Azure, I don't have access to change the BIOS setting for the same to enable the hardware acceleration
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

RajinDas wrote:on Azure, I don't have access to change the BIOS
In that case you will need to use 6.0.x or earlier. Those versions still allowed non-VT-x operation. However, you are limited to 1-CPU 32-bit guests, Windows 8 (not 8.1) or earlier. Windows 8.1 & later require VT-x even in 1-CPU 32-bit operation. 2019 is 10 on server-steriods, so I don't know if you will be able to run 2019 at all on the Azure.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

RajinDas wrote:Can some one guide me on what i am doing wrong, this Vbox is installed on an Azure machine.
What you are trying to do is called Nested Virtualization (Azure means Hyper-V), and that is generally not supported between different hypervisors, so I wouldn't expect it to work at all.