Implementation of the USB 2.0 controller not found!

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
chaaarvy

Post by chaaarvy »

Hi.

I copied my virtual drive and now it doesnt work. Heres what is says:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows 7.

Because the USB 2.0 controller state is part of the saved VM state, the VM cannot be started. To fix this problem, either install the 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' or disable USB 2.0 support in the VM settings.

Note! This error could also mean that an incompatible version of the 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' is installed (VERR_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}
I reinstalled the program and the extensions, disabled the usb and re-enabled and it still doesnt work. Please help.

Thanks
Attachments
vb.zip
(1.44 KiB) Downloaded 501 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Implementation of the USB 2.0 controller not found!

Post by scottgus1 »

How did you do this:
chaaarvy wrote:I copied my virtual drive
If you copied a save-stated VM, as strongly implied by the:
chaaarvy wrote:Because the USB 2.0 controller state is part of the saved VM state,
then you should either go back to the source of your VM, start it and shut it down properly so the saved state gets cleared, then copy it again, or right-click the copied VM in the new Virtualbox guest list and 'Discard Saved State', accepting the loss of unsaved data in the guest.

The log shows this:
00:00:03.976507 Installed Extension Packs:
00:00:03.976528 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (Version: 4.3.40 r110317; VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP unusable because of 'Failed to load the main module ('D:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.x86/VBoxPuelMain.DLL'): VERR_MODULE_NOT_FOUND - GetLastError=126')
I don't know if this error is due to the saved state.
VirtualBox VM 4.3.40 r110317 win.x86 (Aug 22 2016 14:02:41) release log
00:00:03.748282 OS Product: Windows XP Professional
00:00:03.972341 Host RAM: 3539MB total, 2927MB available
00:00:04.116024 Guest OS type: 'Windows7'
Though this PC usually works, it's very old and might do better running Windows 7 as the PC OS and an XP guest, and a more upgraded Virtualbox. 32-bit PC OS-s are still supported in 5.2.x Just a thought...
chaaarvy

Post by chaaarvy »

scottgus1 wrote:How did you do this:
chaaarvy wrote:I copied my virtual drive
I copied and pasted to a different drive.
scottgus1 wrote:If you copied a save-stated VM, as strongly implied by the:
chaaarvy wrote:Because the USB 2.0 controller state is part of the saved VM state,
then you should either go back to the source of your VM, start it and shut it down properly so the saved state gets cleared, then copy it again, or right-click the copied VM in the new Virtualbox guest list and 'Discard Saved State', accepting the loss of unsaved data in the guest.
I changed the machine back to the original drive file and it gives the same error. There are no saved states.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Please zip and post the guest's .vbox file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
chaaarvy

Post by chaaarvy »

Attached. I reinstalled the program and extensions a few times. I cant disable the USB. Thanks
Attachments
Windows 7-2020-03-26-14-29-14.zip
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

That's the guest's vbox.log, not the guest's .vbox file. Try again? It's probably called "Windows 7.vbox"

And your user name is 'xxxxxxx'? That's 7 x's this time, it was 6 x's in the first log. See Is revealing a PC account user name bad?

Do not edit anything in the logs in the future. You might inadvertently change something that's important and waste forum volunteers' time. You cannot get hacked simply by folks knowing your account username. If you change anything in the .vbox file, forum volunteers might just stop helping. Thanks!
chaaarvy

Post by chaaarvy »

scottgus1 wrote:That's the guest's vbox.log, not the guest's .vbox file. Try again? It's probably called "Windows 7.vbox"

And your user name is 'xxxxxxx'? That's 7 x's this time, it was 6 x's in the first log. See Is revealing a PC account user name bad?

Do not edit anything in the logs in the future. You might inadvertently change something that's important and waste forum volunteers' time. You cannot get hacked simply by folks knowing your account username. If you change anything in the .vbox file, forum volunteers might just stop helping. Thanks!
You are observant!!! :D :D :D

The user name is my phone number so that if i lose my laptop, my number will be on the welcome screen.

This time, i kept the first and last digit so you can see that i didnt mess up the edit. Nothing else was changed.

Thanks
Attachments
Windows 7.zip
(1.98 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Ok, so it does appear that this guest does not use a saved state and has no snapshots. Nor are there any USB filters, though USB 2 is enabled, which requires the Extension Pack, which won't load. Makes me think the problem is not in the guest but on the host. You do have matching Extension Pack and Virtualbox, but Virtualbox cannot load the Extension Pack.

You could try a fresh new guest and see if the problem happens or not. My guess is you'll still have the error.

Try uninstalling the Extension Pack, disable the guest's USB controller or go to just USB 1, and test EP-less.
chaaarvy

Post by chaaarvy »

scottgus1 wrote:Though this PC usually works, it's very old and might do better running Windows 7 as the PC OS and an XP guest, and a more upgraded Virtualbox. 32-bit PC OS-s are still supported in 5.2.x Just a thought...
I upgraded to 5.2.38 and now it works. Thanks so much for your help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Excellent! glad you're up and running.