Fail to open a working virtual box on Win 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
YigalB

Fail to open a working virtual box on Win 10

Post by YigalB »

I use the virtual box on Win 10, running ubuntu on the VM.
lately I installed Docker, and since then the VM starts run and fails. Not sure if there is a connection.
I uninstalled Docker, and still VM fails to open.
the message I get:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Ubuntu.

Call to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Also, I followed guidance to cancel:
Hyper-V
Virtual Machine Platform
Windows Hypervisor Platform
on the host. No good.

Any idea?
YigalB

Re: Fail to open a working virtual box on Win 10

Post by YigalB »

I kept reading and noticed someone said to restart twice.
It is working now.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Glad you're running!

The "VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED" error means that some service in Windows 10 that uses Microsoft Hyper-V is active in your host PC OS. In most cases Hyper-V blocks Virtualbox.

The usual advice to turn Hyper-V off completely is:

1. Shut down all programs. You will have to reboot your host.

2. Look into the 64-bits tutorial, 2nd post, points 2 & 3 and ensure that none of these things are running.

3. Find the Command Prompt icon, right click it and choose Run As Administrator.

4. Enter this command:
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
5. Enter this command:
shutdown -s -t 2
6. When the computer turns off, unplug it for 20 seconds. Then plug it in again and boot up Windows 10.

Your Virtualbox should be running now. If Virtualbox still complains of the "VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED" error, try all the steps again. If you still have the error, post back exactly what you did and we'll try to help some more.

For further info, see I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests and https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/139 ... puter.html
Distantlightning

Post by Distantlightning »

Running Windows 10 Professional 1909 Host:

I have a number of VM running successfully for a long time including Centos, Mint Linux, Windows 10, Windows 7 and more. Today, after a few weeks of not running VirtualBox I started it up and was greeted with the usual "New Version Available" prompt. I upgraded, which has normally been without incident (not always - I have used VirtualBox for a very long time.) I also updated the Extensions. Upon starting one of my saved Mint Linux machines I encountered the above error. I have done a few things with this machine since I last used it, including adding a second monitor, upgrading Windows to the latest version, made some significant hardware changes, etc. But, I was doubtful these things were causing the problem. I rolled back to the previously working version of VirtualBox and found the error still occurred. I also tried several other of my VMs and had similar errors.

My purpose in writing is to provide what information I found to fix the problem, some of which were also noted in the post.

I had installed and was using the Windows Sandbox feature after the latest Windows update. This feature is apparently incompatible with VirtualBox. It does not install Hyper-V as a feature. But, it apparently either enables some portion of Hyper-V which is incompatible with VirtualBox or it sets some flag or state someplace which makes VirtualBox blow up when it attempts to launch a machine. As a side issue, this would be worth investigation, as many people will attempt to run Sandbox, as it's a nice disposable and free test bed for untrustworthy Apps, etc. So, if the incompatibility is not a hard incompatibility vs. one which VirtualBox could work around it might be good to note/fix this.

Simply removing the Sandbox Feature does not fix the problem. You must remove the Sandbox feature by typing "Features" in search and unchecking the feature, then rebooting. VirtualBox still will not launch VMs. Apparently, the state or flag is still set which causes it to blow up (one reason I mention above this might not really be a "real" problem.) You have to install the Hyper-V feature using the same Features checkbox, reboot, then uninstall Hyper-V and reboot. Then, let everything start up and reboot again. The second reboot works. Apparently, the feature uninstall of sandbox is messy and doesn't clean up properly.

I repeated the Sandbox installation and it breaks VirtualBox. The process described above fixed it again. So, in my case, this fixes the problem described above.

As a note, I considered it might be a useful test to enable Sandbox, the enable and disable Hyper-V, rebooting twice after the disable and see if Sandbox would still work and/or if the problem still occurs with VirtualBox VM. If I have time I will test this and post the result, or maybe another curious person will test it for us.

I hope this is helpful!
Im_Chethan

Post by Im_Chethan »

Hi All,

Facing similar issue in VB 5.2.28, I am using eNSP with VB to practice huawei switching and routing. Switching S5700 are working fine but AR routers are not able to start and getting error "Failed to start AR and error-code: 40". Also, I tried to start AR router in VB and but no help and getting the below error in virtual-box.

"Failed to open a session for the virtual machine AR_Base.

The VM session was closed before any attempt to power it on.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {7844aa05-b02e-4cdd-a04f-ade4a762e6b7}"

I hope, here someone will help me to come out of this issue.

Thanks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

@Im_Chethan, please start a new topic with your information, Start the guest from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the guest from within the guest OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the guest with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.