notifications on host <> guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
NicoPilami

notifications on host <> guest

Post by NicoPilami »

Hi
Is it possible to either forward the guest notifications (running linux) to the host (running windows) or the way ?
This would allow to get instant messengings / mail notifications while working on any of the environments.

Thanks
Nico
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: notifications on host <> guest

Post by mpack »

Host and guest are two separate PCs. So, if what you are asking for can be sent over a network from one PC to another then the answer would be yes. I can't answer the question explicitly since I have not tried such a thing myself (I run Outlook on my host, not in a guest).
NicoPilami

Post by NicoPilami »

actually, I've two separate environments of work (ie. with different credentials...), because part of my work is split betwen two companies.
This would allow me to see notifications (Slack & Teams) at any time, wether I'm working on the first environment or the other

Thanks for your advice regarding the network... maybe it would be possible to play with the shared drives also (creating a temporary XML file...)

Regards
Nicolas
wiper

Post by wiper »

I'd love to see a feature like this - notification sharing, like clipboard sharing.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

wiper wrote:I'd love to see a feature like this
It would have to be invented by someone else. Virtualbox is a 'hardware' provider, like Gigabyte or Asus or MSI. Motherboard makers don't enable communications between PCs, the OS & installed apps do.
VinceAggrippino

Post by VinceAggrippino »

scottgus1 wrote:
wiper wrote:I'd love to see a feature like this
It would have to be invented by someone else. Virtualbox is a 'hardware' provider, like Gigabyte or Asus or MSI. Motherboard makers don't enable communications between PCs, the OS & installed apps do.
That's an interesting perspective. Although it emulates hardware, VirtualBox is, after all, a piece of software. Still, you have a point. There may be a software product that synchronizes one system's notifications with another system, whether Linux or Windows. The equivalent has certainly been done on mobile devices.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

VinceAggrippino wrote:Although it emulates hardware, VirtualBox is, after all, a piece of software.
Not really the point. The function of VirtualBox is to emulate hardware. If it isn't a feature found in hardware then VirtualBox can't emulate it.

VirtualBox features are not exposed to guest OS's by magic. It's done by putting an expected API exactly where the guest OS expects to find it. VirtualBox can't just invent new hardware features or APIs - the guest OS couldn't use them.